1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle-PI announcement to come next week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Mar 11, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, tomorrow is the final print version. Same notice as the Rocky.

Mind-boggling. And it's not going to end here.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sad but true. Others will see how easy it seems and copy cat.
    Fuckdamnshithell

3. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

As we have seen with the furloughs, the content sharing, the elimination of beats like FSU in Tallahassee, the move to three or four days a week, etc., etc., etc.

How many toes does this industry have left to shoot off?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Even though you knew it was coming, it still sucks.

By far my favorite paper growing up and one I had always dreamed of working at.

Good luck to all the PI folks.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Does the web-only format spare some print jobs? Or is everyone in print now out of work? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I don't know how this is structured.

Deep sympathy for everyone affected by this.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Roughly 20% of the staff will be retained, iirc.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not surprising, but still very sad to hear. I hope for the best for everyone out in Seattle.

It's almost to the point where the one good thing about working on the weekend is you know management won't send around any ominous e-mails or post any "IMPORTANT" memos that inevitably mean a pay cut, insurance rate hike or layoffs.

Hang in there, everybody. Solidarity forever.

8. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Like others, the P.I. was my favorite paper as a kid in the PNW, and one I always secretly hoped to work at.

AB, others, good luck and keep those heads high.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Has already happened unfortunately. And don't think that the Times is sailing smoothly. There are some serious issues at the paper.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

And none in sports. They're keeping the two sports columnists to write for the site ... http://www.seattlepi.com/business/403794_newseattlepi.com16.html

God bless to all of them. I can't say enough good things about the folks I know at the P-I.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

seeing that the company plans to try its hand at a p-i web site and then looking at former rocky mountain news staffers trying their own version of online only news, i think i'd rather go with a rocky-type venture. if you're going to go the unknown route of web only, why not do it as a co-op of former employees rather than the corporation that just crapped on everyone's life.

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Not true. Two survived from sports, but I shouldn't say here who they are. The columnists will do their stuff on a freelance basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted