1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle-area prep football program gets playoff ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gravehunter, Jun 8, 2016.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whoa. Found paying players? Damn!

That program is no joke either. That's the school that ended De La Salle's streak at 151 games.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And I thought only Catholic schools recruited and paid players.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'll bet if you pulled back the curtain on most of the really successful high school athletic programs around the country, you'd find a lot of the same things going on. Hell, I've heard of some of this stuff going on right here in my own little corner of BF Mississippi. Maybe not outright paying players, but the false addresses for transfer purposes, made-up jobs for moms and dads, booster clubs paying coaches under the table; that stuff goes on everywhere, and not just in football.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"High school sports" as we mostly knew them have been dead for roughly 20 years.

Hardly any team in any sport wins without recruiting some kind of all-star carpetbaggers.

The days of a group of kids growing up together on the streets of Pleasantville, developing in grade school and junior high, then captivating the people of the whole town as they chase glory are long long gone.

What happens now is, you have a bunch of kids like that, but when they get to be juniors in HS, the coach goes out and hooks up with some AAU hustler from Asphalt City 50 miles away, brings in five new slamma jamma all-stars, and half the kids who have been playing in Pleasantville since second grade get to go home and play video games.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I cannot get over the level of interest in preps in other parts of the country. I live in a state where high school sports are barely on the radar. The only sport that might register is hockey. The Catholic schools probably do some shady stuff, but otherwise, nothing.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or ... Pleasantville does have a group of really talented home-grown stars. But the summer before their senior year when it appear the team could win the first state title in Pleasantville history, two of the guys go to play at elite, out-of-state prep schools to "help prepare themselves for college."

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that too, it works both ways.

Even better, Pleasantville's top two studs go off to play for the out of state prep factory, PLUS the Pleasantville coach hooks up with the AAU hustler coach to bring in five slamma jamma all-stars, and NONE of the kids who played in the Pleasantville system from grades 2-11 are even on the roster any more.

And then, nobody can figure out why Pleasantville is 20-3 and in the state regionals and they only bring a crowd of a hundred or so to the regional final.

You got 12 players on the team, let's say they went whole hog and expanded the roster to 15 for the tourney. Let's say those 15 players bring an average of 4 spectators to every game, including parents, siblings, etc.

So that gives you 60 spectators. Make it 75 if your coaching staff each brings 3-4 people. Why the hell would anyone else want to come?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet you're fun at parties!

Draft saved Draft deleted