1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle area daily folds

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Dec 28, 2006.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Man, you are so right about Gannett and the Indy Star, DyePack.

And that's the last time I'll use "right" and "DyePack" in the same post.

Carry on.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

[​IMG]

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was agreeing with you, you know.

Ah, I kinda miss the old Intellivision.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Damn. My biggest fear is that the small papers - daily and semi-weekly, in particular - geared toward community journalism are going to be the ones to survive the identity crisis that the industry is going through.

Oh, and nice shoes, sportschick. Except those strappy things might hurt someone. Or is that the point? :D

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's exactly the point. :D

6. Seattle Hurler

Seattle Hurler New Member

This closing had been expected. The previous owner, Peter Horvitz, put the paper up for sale in June and told employees then that he intended to sell it to a company that would keep all of the properties intact. It appears he could not find a buyer interested in keeping the daily going.

The biggest mistake Horvitz made -- among many -- was to merge two distinct dailies into one paper. Though they are right next to each other, there is no natural connection between the east side and the south part of King County. When I worked there in sports, it was nightmare trying to keep both sides of our coverage area happy.

I feel really bad for folks I used to work with. Some have been offered jobs with the expanded weeklies, but others will be looking for work. It is no fun to be looking for a job in this business when you don't have one.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Uh, no. You can't be the cool, new DyePack and then get all defensive when somebody gives you shit.

Nope. Checked the rule book, and it's right there. You can't do it.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Posting a Kool-Aid graphic is defensive?

9. Flash

Flash Guest

In a former life and a galaxy far, far away, I worked for a division of Black Press. Bumble-fuck management is an understatement. They sent their own team down from B.C. to handle the Honolulu affairs and, from what I understand, they almost ran the damn thing into the ground.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Former colleague of mine covered the Mariners at the Eastside Journal several years ago, and it was considered a decent daily. The merging was disastrous. I love the area, but even though it has a high college-graduate population it has not been kind to newspapers.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

After making a few phone calls, the suspicion is that Black has his eye on or already owns the community newspapers in the area and wanted the press centre at the KC Journal. This is not anything he hasn't done before so it isn't a great surprise.

I believe in all of Black's holdings he only maintains one daily anyhow and that's the Red Deer Advocate. I could be wrong on that count, though.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, he owns the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and the Akron Beacon-Journal.

My theory is that if the JOA dies, he'll buy the Seattle P-I and print it on the Kent press. Sort of like he did in Honolulu.

Draft saved Draft deleted