1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle area daily folds

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

King County Journal to close

By ANDREA JAMES
    P-I REPORTER

The King County Journal will put out its last issue on Jan. 21, the newspaper's new owners told employees at a meeting Thursday.

Black Press Ltd., a Canadian publisher, bought the Journal and its nine sister publications in November from Kent-based Horvitz Newspapers Inc. for an undisclosed amount. The new owners had told employees that crucial mistakes made under the paper's old management, particularly a decision to cut the marketing budget, had sealed its fate.

Circulation of the Journal, which has been losing money since 1994, has fallen to 39,100. It is the region's fifth-largest daily paper.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/297601_journal28ww.html

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That sucks. Bad.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why would they buy the chain and then fold the biggest paper? I don't understand why someone would pay a bunch of money so they can fold a paper.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Maybe they wanted the profitable weeklies and the daily was bringing them down. Black is the same guy who bought the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and the Akron Beacon-Journal.

The daily always had a marginal existence. The Kent and Bellevue dailies combined, I think, in the 1990s.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sure there's also some sort of positive tax thing for closing an unprofitable division. Still, it sucks giant donkey balls.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yes, because we know current newspaper management, across the board, is impeccable.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

DyePack, it was really never a successful business, did everything on the cheap, did not make a profit for many years. Hard to believe the current owners screwed up a viable product in two months.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/274538_horvitz20.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003072505_horvitz20.html

8. jackandcoke

jackandcoke Member

Too bad to hear. Some excellent people at that paper.

The problems had little to do with Black, as I understand it. The previous owner made a string of poor decisions that screwed up the paper beyond repair.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Lots of places are making a sow's ear out of a silk purse as we speak.

Just off the top of my head: Tribune Co. and L.A. Times. Gannett and the Indianapolis Star. Dallas. Baltimore. Lee and some of its recent acquisitions.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Doesn't seem to apply here, however.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Big news at two papers in three days that hits close to home at my shop, plus a before Christmas scale-back at another. Damn, it's a tough Christmas/New Years for these folks.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Did another paper fold or something?

Draft saved Draft deleted