1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Season-long running golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm driving down to see Sunday's round. Can't wait to check out the 2008 U.S. Open venue.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This isn't Camp Ponte Vedra blowing smoke up everyone's arse. The Nationwide Tour IS the second-best tour in the world.

You take the top 5-8 Euros out of the mix (Harrington, Clarke, Westwood, Olazabal et al) and the European Tour doesn't have the same depth as the Nationwide Tour, which is as Darwinian a professional sports entity as there is. Watch any Nationwide event (and I do PR for one of them) and across the board, the golf at that level is a hair's breadth shy of the PGA Tour

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I always thought Woods was the best player of his generation because he made more putts and made more shots than other players, and for the most part stopped trying to make the unwise, impossible shots that got him in trouble earlier in his career.

How foolish of me.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Tiger with another "W."

5. micropolitan guy

Nice of CBS to call it while there were still others on the course who had a chance to possibly force a playoff, albeit a very remote one.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Oh, yeah, CBS is all class. :)

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tiger's the best golfer. There, I said it. But it remains that this streak of his comes because he chooses which tournaments to appear in for the most part. I wonder if he'd be able to win the Bob Hope Classic being that it's a five-day event and considering the conditions last week too. Of course, this is a tournament he ALWAYS skips. Wonder why?

Of course, there is the Nissan Open in Los Angeles coming up. Could this actually be the year Tiger wins his "true" hometown tournament. It's one of the few he's NEVER, EVER won.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Yep...Tiger's a slacker because he picks and chooses which tournaments he's going to win. The streak is a FRAUD!

9. micropolitan guy

Not a fraud, obviously. But even Woods has said Nelson's streak is more meaningful because Nelson played in consecutive events in the same season.

And Woods does pick and choose, to an extent (hey, it's his option). But DiMaggio didn't sit when Feller pitched, Rose didn't sit out when Carleton pitched.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wanted to give this a bump in case anyone was interested in talking about Mickelson's badass driving at Pebble. I know it made hondo grind his teeth in bitter disappointment to see No-So-Fat Phil hitting fairways. It would be nice to see he and Tiger in a back-9 Augusta duel this year on Sunday.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm just happy that it is another 51 weeks until I have to see "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" Danny Gans and his lame impressions.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nelson played 30 events that year. Won 18. Won 11 in a row. But the 11 in a row were not in 11 weeks. It began the first week of May and ended in August, which made 11 tournaments in about 16 weeks. Pretty impressive, still.
    Just thought you'd like to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted