1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Season-long running golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm so bored with golf cliches. John Daly is great, Sergio will never win a major, Mickelson is a choker.

Daly sucks. Not, he sucks as a golfer. That's obvious. He sucks as a person. Screw the casual fan. Daly went from being a loveable lump to a dipshit about three years ago. Screw him. If you want to see a redneck hit it a mile, check out Bubba Watson. If Daly played in the NBA and were black, the same people who give us the aw-shucks, isn't he swell and genuine routine, would lose their freaking minds telling us what a piece of shit he is. There's nothiing loveable about a guy who shoots 83 in the first round and WDs, taking a spot from someone actually trying to earn a living and keep their card.

And Jukie, Sergio has too much game to never win one. He has another 10 years, at least, left in his prime. That's 40 majors. People were certain Mickelson could never win one, and now he's got three. Sergio will get at least one, if not more.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're totally right about the NBA comparison, DD. But put up against his Tour mates -- mostly cyborgs with no flair and no vices (at least none publicly) -- Daly is still a breath of fresh air, albeit smelly and smoky. If I'm at a tournament either as a fan or a media member, I'm thrilled when he's in contention.

The sad thing is I can't picture him at 55 playing hit-and-giggle on the Senior Tour. He'll be dead. Of course, he'd probably be the first one to tell you that.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Everybody's favorite five-round tournament starts today in the Cali desert ... Mickelson's first start of the year. He should be well rested after four months off. Curious to see what kind of shape he's in. Man, I wish I got the Golf Channel.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Hartford hate? But, hey, anytime you can hijack a golf thread with hockey posts it can't be a bad thing. Look, I know he's no saint, but things have worked out very nicely in North Carolina.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bob Harig says Mickelson lost a bunch of weight in the off-season (Phil claims 25 pounds, then he put on 10 pounds of muscle). We'll see. Mickelson basically admits that stamina was a problem for him last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/columns/story?columnist=harig_bob&id=2733698

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That may be, but I'm watching right now, and he still seems to need a mansierre

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

So that means that Jim Rome will have to find a new nickname for him to replace "Hefty." But does that mean he'll no longer be an idiot in the final round of a major?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Robert Allenby at 10-under through 16 today. Six birdies, two eagles, no bogeys. Wow.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the winner's check in any tournament in which Tiger does not play will clear the bank.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but Bob Harig was on the same conference call with 100 other hacks when Mickelson gave his fat loss/muscle gain stats. No breaking news there.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm going to be attending the Buick Invitational next weekend. Tiger, Phil and Vijay will be there, but I saw that Jim Furyk, Retief Goosen, Ernie Els, Geoff Ogilvy, Adam Scott and Luke Donald won't be at Torrey Pines. I'm surprised that more top players, including several U.S. Open winners, won't be playing on the course that will host the 2008 U.S. Open.

Draft saved Draft deleted