1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Season-long running golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We'll see how long this puppy lasts on the front page, not sure how many casual golf fans we have here ...

XM's golf coverage rocks. I don't get the Golf Channel and I was driving during the final round of the Sony last night, so I got to listen to the PGA Tour Network's coverage of the event. Really good stuff. Goydos is a heck of a story. Guy barely scraps his way to holding onto his Tour card then comes out and wins the first full-field event of the year. The crowds for Fujikawa sounded great. What an experience for the kid.

As much as others clamor for Tiger in every event, I kind of like the ones that he and Phil don't play in. It's good to hear other storylines.

CHIII, by the way, proves again why he continues to be a waste of prodigious talent. Nothing between the pipes. Leaves himself an easy up-and-down to force a playoff with Goydos, blows the chip and doesn't hit the return putt hard enough.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree, this thread probably won't stay in the daylight for long but since I'm a golf fan, I'll chime in...

Loved seeing the CBS commercial for the Masters during Pats/Chargers. It's like the first sign of spring.

Watching PGA Tour golf on TGC, though, that's gonna take a lot of getting used to. Too accustomed to seeing European and lesser Tours there. Kelly Tilghman doesn't quite do it for me as a lead announcer.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If Tiger Woods doesn't play, is it really a legitimate tournament? :)

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Nice to see Paul Goydos win a tournament. Now if only Brandt Jobe can win one ...

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, does the streak of 40-somethings winning extend to three this week?

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm calling his shot: Adam Scott wins the Masters this year.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Oh, and someone needs to take Howell and make him hit nothing but half-wedges for two weeks. He has Joey Kocur's hands. Too bad he plays golf for a living.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

About as legitimate as a team with Peter Karmanos as an owner. ;):D

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

My wish list for 2007:

1. David Duval keeps his card, contends again at a major (probably Augusta), and wins some-rinky dink tournament. I don't think we'll ever see the Duval of 1998, but it would be nice to see him play well for long stretches again.

2. Jason Gore, the nicest guy in golf, beats Tiger Woods, the biggest a-hole in golf, in a playoff to win some bullshit Buick tournament, prompting David Granger to send Chris Jones off to do a sweet Jason Gore story. Gore and Jones eat pit beef and talk about fatherhood, earning Chris another spot in BASW.

3. At the Players Championship at Sawgrass, Steve Williams yanks some poor grandmother's cell phone camera out of her hand, and marches over to 17 with a smirk on his face, and just as he's about to drop the phone in the water, an alligator grabs him by the foot, and pulls him under the water, holding him down until he promises not to be such an ogre. For the rest of his career, Williams must carry Tiger's bag with a peg leg.

4. Sergio Garcia wins a major.

5. People stop paying attention to John Daly's nonsense.

6. Carmilo Villegas contends at the Masters and the British Open wearing neon green pants and a pink shirt, and ends up on the cover of US Weekly for impregnating Shakira.

7. Mickelson gets another shot standing on 18 on Sunday with the lead at the U.S. Open.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Duval win again. Can't see it happening, though.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think TGC will grow into its coverage, but Faldo is already sounding good as lead analyst. But then I'm biased.

12. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

John Daly's nonsense connects the less-than-casual fan...Here's hoping Phil blows another, just for kicks.

Draft saved Draft deleted