1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Season 5 premiere of The Wire on OnDemand now!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Dec 31, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe the columnist was pissed he wasn't invited to be on the show

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, I read that last night. I'm going to decide for myself. If the first episode is any indication, he's way off base.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They did ask some Sun journos to be on the show, both cameos and scripted parts, some thought better of it and declined.

Simon has some old grudges and he takes his sledge hammer out, which is fine and makes for good TV. The old saying "Never argue with a fellow who buys ink by the barrel." goes bye-bye in the digital video age. The Sun can lambaste Simon if it chooses, and it will be a one day story, but The Wire will be in repeats, TiVo, DVR and DVDs for years to come.

However, it is unfair for a for a character who is a reporter for the The Baltimore Sun to say 'I'd like to work for a real newspaper someday'
    Aside from the serious major metro dailies in this country like The NY Times, Wash Post LA Times Boston Globe and Chicago Trib, The Baltimore Sun is one of the best of the 2nd tier papers in the country.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So, is the Wire something I'm going to have to watch the first four seasons of on DVD before I even try to watch this season?

DoubleDown has sworn by this show for so long, I feel like I'm really missing out. Do I need to watch the others before watching this? Or can I catch up?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're really better off starting from the beginning. Half the appeal of the show is the attachment you form with the characters. If you jump in now, sure, you'll appreciate the writing and plot, but you likely won't give a shit about the characters.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

IJAG, start from the beginning.

I'm getting there. 3 episodes left in Season 3 & I picked up Season 4 yesterday.

I'm jealous that you still have all these shows in front of you.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, I might not. I don't know that I can invest five seasons worth of watching. I'll be on the road a lot.

And now that I'll be working from home more, I'm not sure I can have temptations to keep me on my couch. :D

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't know how to quantify it... but this premier felt lesser than the others.

Feels very fragmented.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But it sets up the rest of the season very nicely?

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The editor's criticism of the photog's fire pictures had me in hysterics.

11. Bastards! I don't get OnDemand with Directv - but at least I got to see the Pats-Giants game and you .... uh, nevermind.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

IJAG:

If you have On Demand, they have a half-hour show that sums up the first four seasons. It's a primer, but should do the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted