1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Season 4 of Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't think so, I think that's too tidy.

Per the cell phone, Mike would, of course, have an untraceable cell phone. So its not likely he's in direct danger, per se.

But I would think the cops would be very curious as to why someone with an untraceable cell phone would be trying to call Gale (or Gayle, whatever) at the very moment he was shot.

I would think that lead them to investigate every nook-and-cranny of his apartment, eventually turning up the lab book.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bubbler touched on this in his longer post, but it's worth noting again. It seems a theme of this season is going to be all of these characters unwittingly (and indirectly) causing their own demise:

Gale: Talked Gus into hiring Walt, which eventually led to Gale getting shot by Jesse.
    Victor: Was seen at the apartment, got a little cocky and became a liability to Gus.
    Gus: Went against his better judgment and brought Walt and Jesse into the fold. We'll see how this plays out, but it sure seems like the story's logical progression leads to him being usurped by Walt.
    Walt: Had Gale shot, which temporarily saved his life but will ultimately lead the police to his front door through the lab notes folder.
    Jesse: Lost control of his emotions in going after the two drug dealers in last season's penultimate episode. That forced Walt to intervene, and Jesse to end up shooting Gale and probably either getting killed or going to prison.
    Mike: Didn't shoot Walt right away and let him get to his cellphone. That allowed Walt to call Jesse, setting this whole clusterfuck in motion. Whether an unhappy Gus offs Mike or the police follow the evidence trail to him is yet to be seen, but for once he's not in total control of the situation.

They did a similar theme of this chain of events with the plane crash back in season two, but it's certainly more obvious now and runs through all of the characters. Maybe some sort of 21st century take on "crime doesn't pay?"

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Also, Gus might have some Mexican cartel coming for him. He did have Juan Bolsa capped and directed The Cousins to their beatdown via Hank (and a sneaky needle from Mike), however, there hasn't been any evidence to lead anyone to Gus's connection.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not totally true. Remember the season three finale? Mike capped some cartel flunkies sneaking around one of Gus distributors.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I get the feeling Mike may be the last man standing when this series is finished. Or Saul. Hopefully Saul.

Also, sales of Kenny Rogers t-shirts went up 10,000 percent this week, I imagine.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The scene in the lab with Gus was as tense as anything I've seen in the series. All done without words. This show is pure brilliance.

7. NDub

NDub Guest

Ah, you're right. Took out four of them with a silencer.

Mike: "It's cartel, all right."
    Gus: "Probing for weakness."

8. NDub

NDub Guest

My buddy is catching up on his Breaking Bad and just watched "Half Measures."

His text after it finished: "HOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!"

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I swear, this show could do a silent episode and it would be Emmy material.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well, I see what thread I'll be visiting on a regular basis every Sunday night, Monday and the rest of the week until the season finale. I didn't really get into this show until last season and I have not gone back and watched every episode from Seasons 1 and 2 that I missed, which at some point I guess I should do. I also missed most of The Wire but I did get hooked on Homicide: Life On The Street. As of right now, I rank Breaking Bad as my all-time favorite.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

You should REALLY go back and watch the first two seasons. Like stop watching the new stuff right now and get caught up. You've missed a lot.

12. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Ha! At this point that's like asking one of the meth heads on the show to stop buying Gus' (aka Walt's and Jesse's) stuff and go cold turkey for a while. I've been hooked, reeled into the boat and tossed into the cooler right now, and I don't have enough free time to devote to two full seasons while missing the current one. I had last Sunday marked on my calendar from the moment AMC gave us the start date of Season 4.

But thanks for the suggestion. Trust me, I will get around to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted