1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Season 4 of Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought so, too, though she was pregnant for so much of the first two seasons that I don't really remember what she looks like when she's not. Might she be pregnant in real life?

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I was about to ask the same question.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Giancarlo Esposito interview with NY Mag. It's another solid one. He talks about "the scene" and preparing for it. Quite interesting stuff.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/breaking_bads_giancarlo_esposi.html

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The scene with Hank after his rehab rang so true to me. My dad had to relearn to walk after a long hospitalization and he was so bitter and angry (unlike his normal attitude).

I feel like the Lab Notes will set things up to make it seem like Gale was Heisenburg, taking any heat off of Walt and Jesse for a little while.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm not good at connecting dots. What significance or reasoning does Hank have for collecting minerals? Is he studying crystals and their connection to meth to catch Heisenberg? Hank was always dismissive of science and Walt's braininess and it seems out of character for him.

6. Steak Snabler

He might be trying to figure out what makes Heisenberg's meth blue. If he can pinpoint that, he would be able to figure out where it came from.

7. NDub

NDub Guest

Yeah, I believe Steak Snabler has it right. Hank is doing whatever it takes to find the elusive Heisenberg. It's really the only thing he can do while sitting on his ass for months.

8. That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but considering how meticulous Gilligan is, there has to be some significance to Hank's hobby other than simple boredom.

Speaking of Hank, one thing I love about this show is that there are just so many amazing characters. Think about it: Jesse, at least in my opinion, might be the fourth- or fifth-best character in the show (Mine, in order, are Walter, Gus, Hank, Mike, Jesse and so on) is a testament to how amazing it is. The fact that Gus has gone from simple drug kingpin to a vicious, deep character speaks of just how well-written and complete this show feels.

That said, something big will have to happen to keep this show going in the direction it's headed. That's why I actually thought last night that Jesse might be the victim of Gus' box cutter. I think something major happens this season, whether it's Hank finally catches onto Walter/Jesse or a major character is arrested or killed. If it keeps teasing these possibilities, then it'll get exhausting and frustrating for viewers, and this is a major reason why Dexter has turned to something close to dog shit.

I am a major, major fan of The Wire. I think it's the best show of all time. But that Klosterman story last week made me think differently about it. We Wire fans are so damn protective of the show, would we ever give another show a chance? I'm nervous/excited/tense during most minutes of Breaking Bad. The Wire was like that in parts, but it had two subpar seasons (which, yes, are still better than most any show ever), but Breaking Bad has had only a handful of subpar EPISODES and has yet to put out a substandard season. Depending on how the show finishes, whether it's this season or next or into the future, will secure its legacy. And, as hard as this is to say and even harder to perceive, it could go down as being right there with The Wire.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Gus went all Keyser Soze on Victor ... ironic (maybe?) given that Giancarlo Esposito was in The Usual Suspects.

Great episode. Like SF, I knew Victor was in deep shit. They foreshadowed it during Mike's conversation with him at the beginning of the show.

I love how Mike pulls his gun during the scene. I would imagine that would be an ex-cop's instinct if he felt his life was in danger, and for a split second, Mike knew he was in unchartered waters. Mike also knows (but only Walt knows too) that he led Walt on this path with his Half Measures speech.

I found myself in the head of Gus after I watched the episode.

He's cold-blooded, but was he cold-blooded enough?

What Walt -- in his endless ego as a chemist -- doesn't understand is that, yes, he can cook meth like no other chemist can. However, if you take Walt's unique product off the street, no one else can replicate it, and something will fill the junkie's void, something that Gus can still make money off of. Walt might think he's too big to fail, but in a sense, he's so big, that he will fail anyway because no one can replicate what he can do. And the junkie's fix is never going to abate.

Junkies may love the perfect high, but if they can't get perfect, they'll take the next best thing to perfect. The opening scene sort of illustrates that as Gus was, at the time, willing to sell 96 percent purity.

Gus is in a position -- in the present -- where he relies on the product Walt produces, so he doesn't want to test that theory just yet. But I think Walt's as expendable as ever, Gus can cut his losses at some point when he feels he can replace the revenue Walt makes for him with either product or diversification ... presuming the cartel doesn't jump his ass first.

Jesse will always be on the bubble too. If Gus thought Jesse wouldn't talk, I'll bet he'd, in effect, make it so that Jesse was turned in for Gayle's murder. Of course, Jesse probably would talk, at least about Gus, so that's not an option.

Meanwhile, LOL Saul Goodman paranoia and Kenny Rogers T-shirts. Of course Walt left the sticker on.

I'm hooked again.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

One thing about the lab book to keep in mind. The cops have no idea that Gayle has a connection to a meth kingpin. Perhaps it will take some time for them to make any kind of connection.

What's more germane to me is the cell phone. Who was the last person to attempt to call Gayle? During the exact time he was capped?

Mike.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

Bubbler, those are fantastic points.

12. Steak Snabler

Or maybe they'll think he was Heisenberg.

Draft saved Draft deleted