1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Season 4 of Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw that boxcutter, I knew it was going to slice into someone's jugular before the night was over.

And given how meticulous Gale was, there's got to be all kinds of incriminating information in the "lab notes" folder the cops were sure to find on his coffee table.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where they were going with the box cutter scene. Thought maybe Walt or Jesse would get sliced up. Maybe, on the extreme end, Jesse would get killed. Certainly didn't see Gus doing what he did. Not as big a shocker as "Run," but it still had my jaw hanging for a few minutes.
    If you think about it, though, it made sense. The guy screwed up and he was a liability.

And the lab notes folder? Definitely planting the seeds for the beginning of the show's endgame. I can't help but wonder, too, if in addition to the notes on meth production there's a few references to Walter White in there.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK, after a night to digest.

First, in a sense, the only bad thing about that key scene was that unless they were going to take an outrageous turn with a key character, you pretty much knew that kid was going to get it.

Beyond that, the whole deal with him changing his clothes was right up there for dramatic tension with "The Minute" and Walt running the guys over with the car, shooting one in the head and saying, "Run!"

One thing that struck me about Gus in a T-shirt: In addition to being cold-blooded, he's a built, muscular guy. It was a little different twist on his being a cold-blooded businessman; he's (now obviously) not afraid to get his hands dirty, either (although he's going to do it fastidiously). He's dangerous in every way.

Hank needs to stop feeling sorry for himself, but obviously, that's part of the character. So he's getting to really be annoying, but in a good way.

Really solid start, no doubt about it (my daughter says my ex-wife came into the show for the first time as Gus was changing his clothes and was, um, startled at what happened next).

4. NDub

NDub Guest

Aaron Paul went five segments and nearly 50 of the 60 minutes without saying a word. All facial expressions and body language, yet he knocked the shit out his role. Just incredible acting.

I think Victor being seen at Gale's apartment sealed his doom. He was expendable. I don't think knowing how to cook had anything to do with it.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Both great points, I meant to mention that about Jesse. Great acting, total silence.

6. Steak Snabler

Agreed. It was also a show of force, where Gus was saying "I'm not just a mild-mannered businessman who lets other do my dirty work for me."

7. NDub

NDub Guest

It was uncomfortable to watch Hank. And that's why it's great TV.

How about the ominous way the episode ended with the Lab Notes notepad sitting in plain sight for the investigators. That could plant the seed for the end of Walter White, and it makes sense if the word is a five-season arc.

8. Steak Snabler

Grantland has a Q&A with Vince Gilligan today:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/30856/breaking-bad-creator-vince-gilligan-on-last-nights-season-premiere

9. NDub

NDub Guest

Great interview. Thanks for that link. I like how Steve Kandall starts with, "OK, first off: Holy shit." I chuckled because he's feeling the same way all of us are.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That was great. I'm really taken with/interested in the Gus character now, he might have always been this way, but every week, to us he looks more and more sinister.

11. Steak Snabler

As to the discussion we were having earlier:

12. NDub

NDub Guest

At the risk of sounding pretentious, does anyone think Anna Gunn packed on some serious lbs between seasons?

Draft saved Draft deleted