1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seashells and Balloons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 21, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, I 11 then. I can't help but wonder if Marquette shouldn't have had at least a couple more Final Fours in the McGuire era. That season and the 1969-'70 season when McGuire stunned the NCAA and refused a bid because they didn't get to be in the closer regional. Instead they accepted a bid to the NIT and won it. The year before they were 26-0 entering the tournament and won their first game before losing by a point to Ohio State.

2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Didn't they lose to Rick Mount and Purdue in 69? Meminger was fouled out on a charge I think. Shit that was a long time ago I might be wrong.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was the 68-69 season. In 1970 they went to the NIT and in 1971 came the one-point loss to Ohio State. So from 69-72 they were either a play or a player-leaving from glory three times and a bullheaded decision away the other time. It should be noted, also, that the NIT still had some prestige at that time, but it was still an awful decision. I wonder how many other coaches could have gotten away with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted