1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sears, Kmart closing up to 120 stores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Exactly. I would love to be more green and more supportive of local businesses, but it is hard on a very limited budget.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of working at Sears while I was working my way up the ladder at my newspaper. Yeah, newspaper and Sears..would have been awesome in 1965.

Anyway, Sears Holdings is a black hole. Has to be one of the poorest run corporations in America. Bad strategy all around, no one with any retail experience in a senior VP position....Lampert is basically clueless. Sears' capital expenditures are a mere fraction of what Target & Wal-Mart put into their stores.

Total neglect and ineptness from Lampert and his cronies led to this, IMHO.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was in a Sears once looking for some underwear. I asked the sales lady if they had a particular brand in men's medium. She came back after a few minutes and said they had them in a boys' large. I responded, "My God woman, that would bind me to death."

He jaw dropped.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The three or four times a year I grudgingly go into our local K-Mart, I leave saying I'll never return. I would hate to see it close, though. Our local unemployment is through the roof, and however many people they employ don't needed to be added to the statistics. Plus, I know full well if it closes, the building will sit derelict for the next decade.

I don't particularly enjoy going to Wal-Mart, but anyone who bitches about Wal-Mart can afford not to shop there. I don't know who it was I saw on TV say that, but it's true.

As for Sears, whether or not 90 percent of the store goes under, I'd not know. I do have Craftsman running through my veins. As long as the line survives and is still available, I'm good. Although we don't even have a mall in our town, I'd have to ask what would go in that size space in the malls they vacate.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

To those who cite the price differential between Wal-Mart and other stores as for why they shop at Wal-Mart, you do not need 10 pairs of underwear, why not get 5 locally made instead?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware underwear had become a local craft industry.

More seriously, you don't have many choices in moderate price points precisely because of Walmart. Your mom and pop sells $60 tennis shirts because they can make that niche work. What would get them killed is trying to sell $14 shirts made in South Carolina instead of Shanghai.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

More power to 'em.

And more money in my pocket by telling them thanks, but no thanks.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

And wash 3 small loads of clothes a week instead one large one? That doesn't make much sense, either.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I know you can direct deposit paychecks onto Walmart debit cards. That and its low check cashing prices bring in plenty of customers every Friday.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I can't remember ever having to wait more than a couple minutes in any line. Then again, I am an incredibly patient person (and slow driver), so it doesn't bother me to wait a few.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I thought they had Lands' End?

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'll say this for Sears: They carry Sole fitness equipment. If you want to build a home gym with cardio stuff, you won't do better than Sole, especially Sole Ellipticals -- that is, unless you are willing to spend $3,500-$4k from a place that specializes on outfitting commercial gyms.

Sears would be much better off as a place that sold tools, lawn and garden, home appliances and electronics and fitness stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted