1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sears, Kmart closing up to 120 stores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Does Target carry your pods? :)

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting - I made a note to myself to check this weekend. If so, GOLD!!
    I can't imagine it doesn't.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sears is in my blood; my dad was the main supplier of men's shoes for about 25 years, and he had an office in the Sears Tower (all the way up on the sixth floor!).

But even though I'm loyal (I've got a Sears repairman coming tomorrow to fix my dishwasher) I can't say I've shopped in one in at least two years. They have a prototype Sears combo store not too far from me (it has a stand-alone LLBean store inside, a grocery store, and a huge tools section) but I only go in it when I need a new shopvak filter.

Someone above noted that Sears Holdings is a huge landlord; that's true -- and that's the problem...Commercial Real Estate is deadly these days.

In fact, Sears is attempting to hold up the Chicago suburb it moved to for a huge tax break, threatening to move to Columbus, Ohio. If I'm Rahm, I'm not sure I'd fight too hard to keep it...it's like being the home port to the Titanic, IMO.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Was in a K-mart a few weeks ago to get a toy for my niece. The store looked like it had not had any significant improvements done to it since the '70s. It still had the kiddie rides out front and tile floor that was probably original. The shelves were likely older than me. I didn't mind it though. It was sort of an interesting time warp. The store, less than a quarter mile from a Wal-Mart, was in relatively good shape otherwise although the cashier complained that the credit card readers desperately needed replaced.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was in a Sears yesterday looking for holiday deals and I found the following for a combined $40. They sell for about $120 total online. Plus the characters were half off. If you have a wife or yourself into Department 56, you know this was a score. A major score.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

K-Cups!

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The State legislature already caved to Sears & the CME.

They got big tax breaks to move to Hoffman Estates. They're up now. And, they threatened to leave without new ones.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They opened a new Wal-Mart in my town. I refused to go to the old one, but I was forced in a late-night pinch to head into the new one. Stunningly nice store inside. Still the odd assortment of characters -- I don't care if it's 1 a.m., pajamas and slippers is not acceptable shopping attire -- but nice nonetheless.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Had a Kmart in my town that closed down a few years ago (Interestingly enough, it was replaced in part by a stripped-down Sears that just sells appliances, hardware and some electronics). Of course, we have a Walmart that's the only place in town you can get a lot of things. The next town up, about 20 miles away, has one and I will go in there from time to time and would hate to see it close just because I like to have the shopping option. And, don't laugh, but I do pick up some decent shirts from time to time, and in my (bigger) size.

That said, the comments about Kmart looking like it hasn't been spruced up in years are spot on. As much as I feel dirty after shopping at Walmart, every one I walk into looks clean and well kept up.

A full-service Sears anchors the mall, which has slid downhill for years, in the aforementioned next town up. I don't think I'd bat an eye if that one closed up. Actually, Sears started going downhill for me back in the early '90s when they discontinued the catalogs. Even into my 20s, I loved to get the Christmas Wish Book and just look through it over and over.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

There are several K-Marts scattered across our metro area and two full-size Sears stores. I doubt any of those will be targeted for closure.

As it is, I hate to see this. Any newspaper that loses Sears or K-Mart circulars because their stores are closing... there go the ads with it. Let the bloodletting begin if that happens (or continue, in some cases)...

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One of those stripped-down Sears is in my town. Seems like a good idea for them business-wise, but I've never seen ads for it and its location, almost hidden off the main thoroughfare, is horrible.

I like the Kmart near my house, but like others have said, you gotta cross your fingers come check-out time.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Was in Kmart Monday and bought an item on sale for $12.99 that rang up for $14.99.

That is a frequent occurrence there. I'll go in for something on sale, and they will overcharge me.

I usually catch it, but this time my item was among many others and my wife paid.

We noticed the discrepancy when we were driving home and decided not to go back for $2.

I agree with others that the stores do not seem clean -- not dirty, just not clean -- and there are never enough checkers.

Draft saved Draft deleted