1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sears, Kmart closing up to 120 stores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm surprised:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/story/2011-12-27/sears-stores-closing/52240208/1?csp=hf

I went to Sears last year to buy an exercise bike for my ex, and it was a friggin' disaster area. I had to return three bikes because they were either defective or missing parts. Each time I came back, I had to wait at least an hour to get someone who could help me and process the return/exchange. Finally, I gave up and went to Dick's Sporting Goods.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Growing up in California, K-Mart was Wal-Mart before Wal-Mart. It was the only store open 24-7 and it was the store that you didn't want to go to, but you were almost forced to go because of the convenience and the prices.

I used to have to go there to make a ton of returns because my mom would buy me tapes/CDs there that would be the cleaned-up version. Needless to say, I wasn't having any of that... :D

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Now I'm just waiting for Penneys to start closing. God, I hate that store.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Last one out, turn off the blue light.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Having been outflanked both on the upscale (Target) and downscale (Walmart) sides, K-Mart deserves to close unless it can reinvent itself. Again. Sears likely stays afloat on the strength of Craftsmen tools and Kenmore appliance and the Auto Service Centers alone. But it needs to cut its bigger brick-and-mortar losers for a more robust internet business. (Ironic if the mail order business turned out to save Sears.)

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sears is a glorified real-estate company, now. The land some of those stores rest on is worth zillions. The tools and appliances remain gold (though not even Craftsman is what it used to be) . . . though, frankly, I wouldn't EVER take a care there except under dire circumstances. You get courteous treatment, but too often, the mechanics aren't up to snuff.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is Wal-Mart downscale from K-Mart? Maybe at some point, but the Wal-Marts where I live are all pretty nice.

This was definitely not the case in the city where I used to live.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The car care business will fail as the legacy clientele dies off - and as more and more manufacturers offer free service for their cars. Be interesting to see ten years hence if Sears can thrive as only a seller of tools and appliances.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any Sears closing is very sad. That is a backbone of America type of store.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion.

Walmart killed KMart in the relatively downscale 'low price department store segment' by being nicer.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The last time I was in a K-Mart I put a bunch of household items like cleaning supplies and toilet paper in my cart walked to the checkout area. Two lines were open and about 10-deep. I left the crap in the cart and walked out.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It began as a mail order business. Sears v2 - the standalone stores and the mall anchors you're talking about - were an extension of the American car culture. v3 may just take it back to mail order. (Although Amazon has the online general store thing pretty well locked up.)

Draft saved Draft deleted