1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching for reporter's notebooks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by littlehurt98, Aug 28, 2009.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I recently took a new job at a new newspaper and unfortunately my new shop does not use the type of small, spiral bound notebooks I loved at my old shop. I have searched this forum and google and can't find the type I am looking for anywhere.

The kind I am looking are spiral bound at the top and the cover is white with blue writing on it. I believe it has NEWS written in great big letters written on cover. I seem to remember there being a website on it, but being a dummy I didn't bring any with me when I left. If anyone has these type of notebooks and could please inform as to what they are called or give me the website it would be much appreciated.

I know it may seem weird to want a certain type of notebook, but the kind my current shop has are pretty small and tear easily. The kind I am wanting I could take anywhere and they would hold up.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No. 100

NEWS

Professional
    REPORTER'S
    NOTEBOOK

Date of notes:
    Content:
    These notes are very important to me. If found, please contact:

NAME
    ADDRESS
    CITY
    STATE
    ZIP
    PHONE

Portage
    P.O. Box 5500
    Akron, Ohio 44334-0500
    Toll-free 1-877-907-6397

3. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

http://store.portagenewspapersupply.com/servlet/StoreFront

Try that.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

If you're not hung up on getting the exact Portage model, try Office Depot, which sells reporter's notebooks for $17.99/dozen. It even says Reporter's Notebook on the cover.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/582254/TOPS-Reporter-s-Notebooks-4-x/

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

Just in case you forget why you are writing things down in this notebook.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The big NEWS on the front always made me laugh. I guess INNUENDO wouldn't have fit.

And was anyone ever nerdy enough to fill in their full contact information? Like if you left that in a press box, someone would mail it back to you. Maybe they would--with all the pages missing.

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Going back about 20 years ago or so ... I actually did make it a habit to put my name and phone number on the cover, and my paper even splurged and bought customized notebooks festooned with its logo. My nerdy habit paid off one day when I got a phone call from someone who found a notebook I didn't know I lost.

I was based in a remote town in the hinterlands of a metro daily's coverage area, and I'm sure the caller was thinking there'd be a monetary reward coming from the big city paper. I drove out to his house to get it back, gave him a hearty handshake and my deepest thanks. I might have given him one of the newspaper's coffee mugs, but I'm not positive about that.

8. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Thanks everyone! If I can't find the Portage Model I will check out office depot. The ones we have now have really flimsy covers that tear off when I put them in my pocket.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've tried using these before and it seemed like I was flipping pages every other word. Maybe I just scribble too big or whatever.

I've always liked the regular steno pads. Can't really put it in your pocket, but gives more writing space and still small enough to hold in one hand.

[​IMG]

10. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I like steno books too, but at my current shop I have to take pictures too. I covered volleyball last night and it was difficult to try and hold the steno book and take pictures too. I like those reporter's notebooks because they easily fit into a pocket or my built.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Always preferred the reporter's notebooks for the size -- they easily fit in the back pocket of a pair of men's pants or jeans.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's why your notebook should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted