1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Search for intelligent aliens near bizarre dimming star has begun'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Build it at Neptune. We've already revoked Pluto's birthright planetship.

If we're not careful we'll have dwarf planets penetrating the orbit of Uranus.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You'll have to cover Uranus.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We only cover Uranus when you lose.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The 2024 election will hinge on the issue of "who lost Uranus?"

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I've been following this too and it's neat to watch. But my money is on some natural phenomena and not the Death Star. I know there's been debate on the subject among scientists, but I've been more convinced by the argument that the universe is too chaotic for much complex intelligent life. SETI's been at it for 40 years now, and though they've covered a small total area, they've still come up with exactly zilch. I would love to be wrong, though.

I do think Hawking is right on that if ET's ever come knocking, it's bad news for us.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think Edward Snowden might be on to something when he theorized that the reason we've never caught an e-glimpse of ET is because they encyrpt their transmissions, just as we do the same among ourselves.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Any civilization that's using radio is just getting cranked up and won't be broadcasting very long.

Look at us, we're 100 years in and already transitioning to fiber optics, MP3s for our music, and satellite signals that won't escape into space because they're pointed in. In 50 years we'll still be using spectrum, but our footprint will be much smaller and harder to detect from deep space.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We've already been visited and have the alien bodies and spacecraft to prove it!

[​IMG]

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Latest report is that there are aliens, but they aren't believe to be very intelligent because they don't see any Asians. #crossthread.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. They don't have messageboards. Or reality TV.

Ace likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This thread got me thinking about the Fermi paradox -- if there's gotta be so many of them, why the hell haven't we heard anything? -- and I (re-)read up on it a bit. One of the hypotheses proffered is that as civilizations mature, they become more likely to isolate themselves while enjoying their clever toys. So maybe an otherworldly Apple (or Playboy) is to blame.
    Fermi paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As noted above, Snowden's bit on encryption sorta covers Fermi.

Besides, if they were broadcasting could we even understand that it was a broadcast?

We don't really understand the click clacks of Dolphins or whale songs or all manner of how animals communicate.

Why would alien life be any different?

Draft saved Draft deleted