1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Taylor - RIP UPDATED

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hustle, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: Sean Taylor: shooting victim

It's unlikely it was random. His house was in an exclusive community in which this type of crime is rare.

2. Re: Sean Taylor: shooting victim

Could be a case of "Ghetto Loyalty" gone bad.

Sorry, was just reading the SI article and wanted to be the first to use the term.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Miami Herald reports a neighbor said this might have been the third time in a week someone tried to break into the house.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/320910.html

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I read that SI article as well and found it interesting.

The thing about Taylor is that he grew up in a middle-class environment and simply found "friends" that led to trouble for him.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

.....soooo you're saying he deserved it

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not. Even. Close.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Things aren't looking good ... from Jason La Canfora's blog.

Richard Sharpstein, who has represented Sean Taylor in legal matters in the past and is a friend of the family, said moments ago that the player's life is hanging in the balance in the hospital. Sharpstein, speaking from the hospital, said Taylor is "nonresponsive and unconscious" and the doctors are "worried about a possible brain injury or death."

Sharpstein, who has been with Taylor's family at the hospital much of the day, said that there are major worries that Taylor may have lost oxygen to the brain, and that no other procedures are planned for right now. "They're waiting to see if he comes to," Sharpstein said. He was shot in the groin/thigh area near the femoral artery and lost copious amounts of blood. He was airlifted to the trauma center and endured several hours of surgery, Sharpstein said.

Taylor is in intensive care, Sharpstein said, and his girlfriend and child were not injured in the attack. Sharpstein said Taylor was sleeping when he heard a noise in the living room. The intruders were at his bedroom and Taylor reached for a machete or other form of knife he keeps nearby in case of emergency, and two shots were fired, with one striking his leg.

"Right now he's clinging to life and we're all praying he makes it," Sharpstein said.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Funny, the ESPN Radio update I heard made it sound like he'd stabilized.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Jeez. The man has a machete for protection? Didn't Jay-Z have a line about "don't bring a knife to a gun fight?"

That's a shame though. Hopefully he'll make it.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that line has been around a bit longer than Jay-Z. But yes, that is a bit odd.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I gotta think if I lived in a $1M mansion, I'd have some form of security on property.

12. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

I didn't say it was relevant or even insensitive to bring up his past. Given that he has pulled a gun on someone else, I'm sure the police are working with the theory that it may be retaliatory. Still doesn't mean that he should get the well-he-had-it-coming treatment.

I want to say that suspects were arrested in the Walker and Curry home invasions because it looks as if they were done by the same group.

This may not be racially politically correct to say, but it's my opinion that black athletes are targeted more because a) while they try to patronize "normal" venues, it also leaves them vulnerable to a jealous and envious element. If they go to a club, even one that supposedly attracts the right crowd, they run the risk of some guy getting jealous because that particular athlete is getting all the attention, be it from the staff or the women.

Also, it can't be ignored that 90 percent of black homicides are done by another black person. This is not to say that white people are never victimized by black people. Obviously, that happens. But there is this "fear" -- or whatever word works better -- about committing crimes against white people. Most black people believe the crimes and penalties will be stiffer if you do criminalize a white person, therefore making black people with money even bigger targets. I hope that makes sense, even though I realize I may not be articulating myself correctly.

Nevertheless, because of the constant barrage of images of black people as perpetrators, it just seems when we're the victims, there is a lack of sympathy. Again, Taylor's past is relevant, but because of it, even if this story pans out as him as a victim, I still sense some people won't be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted