1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Taylor - RIP UPDATED

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hustle, Nov 26, 2007.

1. If this is a random act, how is Taylor himself, the victim, a "symptom" of anything? The act may be symptomatic of a lot of things, but, if this is a burglary that went bad, Taylor's nothing more than another poor guy who caught a bullet.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that you are giving them way too much credit.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fenian, explain something to me.

You keep bringing up this 'random burglary' thing. But there were TWO break-ins. You say 'First to case, second to kill.' That doesn't seem random OR burglary-like.

I'm just trying to follow...

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Thanks. I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

5. It could be a two-step process.
    The point is that the house -- and therefore, the victim -- was chosen randomly, at least as far as the cops are saying. If that's the case, then expanding this into some sort of sociology lesson may be doing a disservice to the victim. Certainly, you can't argue that it says something about Taylor if a gang of thugs who picked his house at random have killed him.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But if they picked it randomly, for burglary purposes, why not take anything the first time? And why go back? If nothing is taken EITHER TIME, how can you legitimately argue burglary?

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Could be a million things - home invasion gone wrong, botched kidnapping, or, having found nothing when they first came to burgle the place, they decide to come back when they know he'll be home to strongarm his wallet, or make him take them to a cash machine. There are lots of plausible possibilities here. I mean, what are the chances that everyone within a twenty block radius of that house knew an NFL star lived there?

8. I'm not arguing it.
    The cops are.
    Meanwhile, columnists are running amok.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Productively violent?

You tell me, how many players are violent in the NFL?

How many are merely physical?

How many are neither?

You can have a home in the NFL as a violent person, but most of the league's players are NOT that. It is a physical game most of the time. A violent game sometimes.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I see.

Pulling a facemask, or punching someone's nuts, or chopping at the knees on the field... there is no mental difference for all these NFL players when the get off the field to, say, rape, aggravated assault and murder?

11. BBJones

BBJones Guest

The burglary angle is almost laughable, really. Burglars tend to not use weapons. They sneak in, take what they can carry, and sneak back out. They don't kick doors down and kill people, leaving other people in the room alive. If this was a buglary, it certainly breaks the mold.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

All the scenarios you lay out make sense and could have happened, save one:

I'm guessing in the 900K home of an NFL player, there's gonna be something worth stealing--the first time through.

Draft saved Draft deleted