1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Taylor - RIP UPDATED

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hustle, Nov 26, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: Sean Taylor: shooting victim

Was the guy caught for the Walker and Curry break-ins?

I thought I saw that Taylor bought the place for $990,000. That is not all that big for where he lives. I'm sure there were bigger places to rob. Could it be that these guys carry around so much cash and keep so much jewelry around them?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, yab, and until we get all the details I'm merely talking out of my ass...but if Taylor got shot in a club where he was pouring Cristal on the ground and waving a pistol around, then OK. Reputation comes into play.

Someone was trying to break into his house. It happens EVERYWHERE. To turn this into a 'he deserved it' when it could have been a random thing is sketchy at best.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I second that sentiment as well. Despite Taylor's misgivings and decision-making, let's hope this kid can pull through and recover.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I understand that, but Ms. Hill's statement about the shame of Taylor's reputation playing into the view of the shooting sounds as if she's saying that it is unfair to view him in that light. I think it's perfectly fair. He earned his reputation and we are all viewed through the prism of our reputation. Sometimes it's a distorted view, but it is always a view that we create ourselves.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think all the statements about circumstances we aren't aware of just yet are premature.

The man got shot. That's all we really know right now.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Which I acknowledged, Zeke. But if this is just a straight-up, random home invasion, then I think painting it as if he earned it is dishonest.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

For some reason I don't see this as being a random occurrence. Of all houses, how do you pick his, and how can it be that random when he is such a high profile person?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jemele, my feelings are a mixture of empathy and suspicion. My first thought is to hope the guy pulls through ok.

Most likely Taylor was just damn unlucky that some scumbag with a gun picked his home to break into. But I don't think it is unfair to think this is at least somewhat suspicious given his history.

I keep seeing a lot of information about his past troubles on and off the field in these stories about the shooting (see the Yahoo story linked below). Is that unfair? Is it too early to be including that as part of the story?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlS7oWTsIciHOkJrOlgMBIE5nYcB?slug=ap-redskins-taylorshooting&prov=ap&type=lgns

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

oop, I have a hard time believing this was random.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Right now Taylor needs to...
    1. Live
    2. Try to keep both legs
    3. Pray that he can play again in the NFL

In that order.

The other crap will come later.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We're in complete agreement.

12. Re: Sean Taylor: shooting victim

If it were Art Schlister, people would wonder the same thing aloud.

If it were Tim Donaghy, people would wonder the same thing aloud.

If it were Pete Rose, people would wonder the same thing aloud.

If it were LaMarr Hoyt, Denny McClain, Ken Caminiti (RIP), Bob Probert, etc., etc. Same thing.

How often do people give white professional wrestlers the benefit of the doubt, Jemele, when something happens?

You're setting up a straw man and preparing to debate against it.

P.S. Wikipedia is listing him as "deceased." Of course, not exactly a reliable source, but they did nail the Chris Benoit thing.

P.S.S. That line's been eliminated and the entry locked due to "vandalism."

Draft saved Draft deleted