1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Taylor - RIP UPDATED

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hustle, Nov 26, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: Sean Taylor: shooting victim

Good lord.

I hope he pulls through.

I just have a feeling that there will be layers upon layers to this story that will be uncovered as the days progress.

2. 93Devil

Local news reports claim the bullet hit and damaged Taylor's Femoral Artery.

Guys and girls, he might not live through this. There is a chance.

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

If so, Jason Campbell was made an honorary Hurricane for the weekend. Yeesh.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Second shooting incident in three years. Imagine if his father wasn't the Chief of Police.

5. 93Devil

Wikipedia.org is facinating

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Taylor_%28American_football%29

6. 93Devil

Just as an FYI, he could have his leg amputated over this. About a 50/50 chance of that happening according to a medical source of mine.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Doing a little bit of searching, I came across this quote regarding a severed femoral artery.

"The femoral artery is a very large artery. When it's severed, you bleed profusely. You lose consciousness and die within minutes," said Dr. Anthony Manoukian, Maui County medical examiner.

In short, the femoral artery supplies blood to the leg.

8. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

I say this knowing full well that any minute or day the genesis of this story could change...

It's a shame that Taylor's past is what it is because even if though it appears he's a victim, it'll always be framed like, what-did-he-do-to-warrant-being-shot?

Still, it just seems to be more suspicion than empathy -- not so much on this board -- when black male athletes are the victims of crimes. These guys are targets. Eddy Curry and Antoine Walker both were victims of home invasions. As was Flip Murray. Paul Pierce nearly died after being stabbed multiple times because someone was pissed he beat them at pool.

If Taylor is truly a victim, I would just hate to see it turn into an inquisition, particularly since he is fighting for his life.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The shame that Taylor's past is his past lies with Taylor himself. The man's reputation is what he made it. I fail to see why someone should not be judged by the record that they, themselves, create.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why are black athletes targets but not white athletes?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Let's hope this doesn't turn into a RIP thread.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted