1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Payton Suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 21, 2012.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I guess it's safe to assume there's no disciplinary committee where Payton and the rest of the Saints staff can appeal the lengths of the suspensions.

It looks like the only nail Goodell forgot to put in the coffin was to move the 2013 Super Bowl out of New Orleans.

Have the Dolphins called the Saints yet regarding Brees' availability?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think Payton would do that if he wants to continue being in the NFL.
    Payton knew about it. Didn't do anything about it.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This, and, as the man in charge, he's being held up as an example to the rest of the league.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game," Goodell said in a statement announcing the punishments. "We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities. No one is above the game or the rules that govern it. Respect for the game and the people who participate in it will not be compromised.

"A combination of elements made this matter particularly unusual and egregious," Goodell said. "When there is targeting of players for injury and cash rewards over a three-year period, the involvement of the coaching staff, and three years of denials and willful disrespect of the rules, a strong and lasting message must be sent that such conduct is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game."

Punishment for any Saints players involved will be determined later, because the league is still reviewing the case with the NFL Players Association.

espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Assistant head coach Joe Vitt was also suspended 6 games, so he can't be interim HC.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Have a few points.
    1. This punishment is more than I expected. It is a pretty harsh price to pay across the board. And yet I don't feel sorry for the Saints (or those suspended) in the least.
    2. What is Goodell basing this punishment off? He is making this up as he goes along. I'm not sure that's the best way to run a league. Especially not the premier league in this country.
    3. Gregg Williams has supposedly been cooperating with the investigation as of late. At some point (maybe as soon as next year) he'll be back on an NFL sideline. I'm guessing that's why the suspension is indefinite and not lifetime. Although, seeing as Goodell is making this up as he goes along, there's no way of knowing.
    4. Goodell only levied this much punishment because of the huge amount of press this case brought. If he really cared about player safety, we wouldn't hear stories of former players who can't pay their medical bills. And we wouldn't be hearing about an 18-game schedule. And we would have larger team rosters.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know about that. He's a damn good coach.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Three years of denials. That's what this is about. They were repeatedly told to knock it off, they said it wasn't happening. Egregious.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Never lie to Roger Goddell. Never.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Tebow is praying to the wrong God. That's why he ended up with the Jets

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wonder if the story of Payton stealing pain pills from Saints
    medicine cabinet was a factor.

This is a real blow to the Katrina victims who are still clawing back.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Boom makes me laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted