1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Payton moves to Dallas, will commute to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Good stuff from Galloway.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So Goldkamp, who is from NOLA, has no problem with Doyel's column. Yet somebody from Indiana who calls himself "swamp trash" is upset by it?

3. BrianGriffin

Inky_Wretch, I'm in Louisiana (though not New Orleans) and I thought the piece missed or conveniently skimmed past, a lot of relevant details. I'm not all about bashing Doyel (whose name I once misspelled "Doyle" in print...I forget the context) like Swamp Thing, but having said that I don't care for this particular piece because it conveniently ignores details so the larger point will stick. But I won't and can't judge the larger body of work and/or Doyel himself.

The point being, you don't have to be from New Orleans to be offended by the story and not everybody from New Orleans will be offended by the story.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

But is it Doyel's writing acceptable? :D

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Doesn't every columnist do that at some point or other?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You misunderestimate the prevalence of both swamps and trash in Indiana.

7. BrianGriffin

Sure, myself included. When it happens, it's not the columnist's best work.

Favorite line from a columnist to a beat writer (Johnny D knows this one): "I'm just going to shoot from the hip. You can come back with the facts."

Or something along those lines.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bump for a MMQB retrospective, I missed this PK anecdote the first time around but it's pretty damn amusing -- and it says quite a bit about the Jones/Payton relationship and why Jason Garrett should probably be kind of nervous:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/02/20/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1EcZFS0Al

INDIANAPOLIS, March 1: I smell a nice rivalry cooking.

On Friday night, the Saints' staff at the Combine gathered in a private room at St. Elmo Steakhouse, the 108-year-old Indy foodie landmark, for a final celebratory nod to the Super Bowl win over the Colts. This is a group that likes its wine, and likes to have fun. At the restaurant, word passed that Dallas owner Jerry Jones would have his Dallas group in this exact room Saturday night for a team dinner. Jones, one of the waiters told the Saints' group, even phoned ahead to make sure a magnum of a wine he loved, Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, was ready to be served at dinner.

Sean Payton told the waiter he'd like to have that wine, too. The waiter told him: Sorry, sir. We've got only one bottle of it left, and it's reserved for Mr. Jones.

Payton said he'd like to have the bottle nonetheless. I assume there was much angst on the part of the wait staff at that point. My God! Who do we piss off? One of the most powerful owners in the NFL, or the coach who's the toast of the NFL, the coach who just won the Super Bowl?

Here came the bottle of Caymus Special Selection, and the Saints' party drained it.

But drinking Jones' wine wasn't enough. Payton gave the waiter some instructions, took out his pen ... and, well, the Cowboys party found at the middle of their table the next evening an empty magnum of Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, with these words hand-written on the fancy label:

WHO DAT!
    World Champions XLIV
    Sean Payton

That's the kind of thing Jones will get a big laugh out of. And remember.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love that restaurant. The shrimp cocktail is overrated. It's great, but people talk so much about it that it doesn't live up to the hype. The atmosphere is so cool and during the combine it's fantastic because you have coaches on one side of you, scouts on the other, GMs over there... You can get better food, but the overall experience is just great.

Draft saved Draft deleted