1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Payton moves to Dallas, will commute to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

For what its worth, when I lived in Louisiana and worked in Texas I had to pay Louisiana state income tax (which was a bit of a hassle because my Texas employer would not withhold for it). I don't know how it would work going the other way. My guess is that as long as he owns a home in Louisiana, he'll have to pay taxes.

The other half of this is that, in Texas, you pay a lot in property tax, especially in a ritzy school district like I'm sure he's moving his kids to. In a trade off for no income tax, property taxes are pretty high statewide and local property taxes can be astronomical. On the other hand, Louisiana has a homestead exemption that makes property taxes pretty cheap.

Both states have huge problems with taxes being so low, they don't come close to producing the revenue they need to have functional state governments.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I asked someone who does taxes for a lot of athletes about this. As you note, there's no reciprocity between LA and TX, so Payton would have to pay taxes to LA. He could claim non-resident status and for the weeks the team plays away, he would not have to pay tax to LA.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

St. Tammany Parish schools (Payton lives in Mandeville) aren't shabby. I'm not sure if the kids were in private school up there. New Orleans has some very good private schools as well. Newman, the alma mater of the Manning (edited) brothers and author Michael Lewis, is a very highly-thought-of private school. Country Day is a good school. The Catholic schools are very good.

I just think Dallas is where the Paytons feel most rooted. I agree that this isn't necessarily a huge deal, but it does naturally lead to speculation on whether he's angling to go back to his former employer.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm wrong. I was thinking of a situation I know of, but that involved two no-income-tax states, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Carry on.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It will be fine. Matt Millen commuted between Pennsylvania and Detroit when he was with the Lions and it didn't affect his job performance.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gregg Doyel (Google alert) weighs in...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14672189/uproar-over-paytons-place-negates-sympathy-for-new-orleans

7. The STP public schools are way better than New Orleans public schools, but I highly doubt that Payton was sending his kids to public schools. As you said, there are plenty of great private schools in both St. Tammany Parish and the greater New Orleans area.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I will attest that Texas property taxes are ridiculously high. When I moved, I was stunned by how much more I was paying in property tax.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i thought all of westlake went to carroll isd but now see they're split among three districts and vaquero club is indeed in keller isd. for football purposes, i'd bet they'd rather be future dragons.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think I'm coming around on this one. I initially thought Payton was going to commute on a regular basis from Dallas (because that's what Werder's original report said).

With his family in Dallas he'll see them only a few less hours than those who live in the same town. I can't imagine living away from my wife and kids, but I'm not a NFL coach.

12. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

Embarrassing. This guy calls himself a professional journalist?

Draft saved Draft deleted