1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Payton moves to Dallas, will commute to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen any mention of him flying back and forth every day. They're keeping the residence in NO. This isn't a rare thing, not seeing the crime here.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A man who would rather live in Dallas than New Orleans just HAS to be a football coach.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Red Auerbach's family lived in Washington, D.C., throughout his coaching career. And it was a hell of a lot harder to get from one place to the other back then.

4. In a somewhat related note, I was asked to lifeguard a party for his daughter at his house north of Lake Pontchartrain a couple years back. Not positive if he had another house in New Orleans, but if he didn't he was making at least a 30 minute commute to work every day already.

So really, he's only adding an hour to his commute each day if he really is going to fly in and out every day.

5. I would guess he's not going to try to commute every day, but just occasionally head when his family needs him. Seems on the surface like a decent compromise for a coach and his family, but I'm a little bit skeptical.

Since he's going to Texas anyway, maybe he could have checked in with Coach Taylor on making such a move. Didn't quite work out for him too well when he tried to leave Dillon.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

By Ed Werder

While Sean Payton is not leaving the New Orleans Saints for a position with the Dallas Cowboys as rumored, a source close to Payton confirmed he is purchasing a home in the Dallas area and plans to commute between the two cities as the Saints' head coach for the first time.

"Sean Payton is the coach of the New Orleans Saints. He will not be going to the Dallas Cowboys in any capacity," the Saints said via a release.

Payton, wife Beth and their children will live in a home the family is purchasing in the exclusive Vaquero Club, an upscale golf community in Westlake that is home to numerous PGA Tour professionals as well as the Jonas Brothers.

The Paytons will enroll their children in school in their new Texas neighborhood. Payton became interested in Vaquero when he lived in nearby Southlake while working as an assistant coach under Bill Parcells with the Cowboys.

Payton estimates that flying on a private plane is 90 minutes door to door from his office at the Saints complex to the family's new home, which he believes allows him to remain committed to the Saints while moving his family to the area where he and Beth intend to eventually retire.

When Payton was offered the Saints head-coaching position originally, the family considered this exact setup but owner Tom Benson insisted on the entire Payton family living in New Orleans.

The Paytons spend several weeks during the offseason at a beach house in the Florida panhandle.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nothing in there that says he's going back every day. There are a ton of people in the U.S. who work in one locale and come back home over the weekend, and he's fortunate enough to be able to do it in 90 minutes instead of the 4-6 hours many of those other folks need to fly commercial or drive.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Not true. I live in one state and work in another. I pay taxes where I live.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. Unless his primary residence is in La., he'll no longer be paying state income taxes there.

I expect a grand-standing Louisiana pol will try to change that.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He must either not see his family during the week anyway or not like his family too much.

11. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Yep. I read a story a few years back that listed a whole bunch of professional athletes who own homes in Florida and Texas so that they can claim it as primary residence and save millions on taxes.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Having dealt with the man, if his family moved to Guam, I wouldn't blame them.

Draft saved Draft deleted