1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seahawks fan gets ready for next Sunday's game vs. the Giants with 9/11 jokes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Sep 27, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the problem here is mustang didn't get the joke.

Mustang, do you get the significance of the Jets yet, or does somebody need to explain it to you in deeper detail?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That site's down now.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It wasn't funny. Death isn't funny, particularly 9/11.

Ever.

The Seahawks fans that are doing that are turds of the lowest order.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Seahawks fan gets ready for next Sunday's game vs. the Giants with 9/11 joke

Actually, I beg to differ (just on that clause.) Death can be very funny. So can gallows humor. I wish more people would treat death as a fact of life, rather than the end of life. I've never understood why death -- just death in general, I mean -- is so hard for people to accept.

9/11, however? Just not funny. Can't imagine a situation when 9/11 jokes become acceptable. Surely not now. Maybe time will tell, I don't know. Then again, I can't say I've heard many Pearl Harbor jokes, even 67 years later. It's just not a funny subject. How can you tell a tasteful joke about 9/11? I really don't know. Hope I don't find out.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No way, Buck-Dub.

If the death was a family member or friend, would it be funny? No. Is it a fact of life? Obviously. Doesn't mean it should be anyone's punchline.

At least 9/11 was clarified. But S-P has said he knew people involved, and I knew a writer at a competing paper was from that area that had friends involved.

I wasn't anywhere near New York at the time. That writer ended up resigning within a few weeks of the disaster, likely because it got to him that badly. I couldn't sympathize - with any luck, none of us will experience that again.

I know you're not an insensitive oaf without empathy, Buck-Dub. But death isn't funny.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Seahawks fan gets ready for next Sunday's game vs. the Giants with 9/11 joke

Agree to disagree, Sam. Death can be funny. Laughter can be theraputic.

One of my most vivid memories of the week after my grandfather's death was riding on the plane to Nebraska and I was in charge of holding onto the box with his ashes. My uncle, my dad, my aunt and I were cracking up the entire time after a stewardess came by and warned me about making sure the box stayed under the seat so it wouldn't interfere with other passengers -- she, of course, didn't know what was in it.

Then my uncle made a crack about his ashes sliding up and down the plane if there was turbulence (which there was), and how much he would have hated being kicked around by everybody on board. We laughed and laughed, man. Put us all at ease, and made the flight go by so much quicker.

Sure, it's one of those had-to-be-there moments, but it was FUNNY. To us, anyway. You gotta laugh -- especially at times like that. Gotta have a sense of humor about these things.

Sometimes it can be insensitive, yes. If someone outside the family makes that crack ... yeah, it's probably not the same. But can death be funny? Absolutely. And it should be, because it's universal to all of us.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

As a Seahawks fan I thought the joke was in poor taste. That day had a very deep impact on a lot of people and we should show a little more class in respecting the people who gave their lives.

Draft saved Draft deleted