1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE The Times (Frankfort, Ind.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 0-fer, Jan 28, 2008.

1. 0-fer

0-fer Member

Company: The Times
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

Description:
    Sports editor: The Times of Frankfort, Ind., is looking for its next sports editor. Duties include writing daily content, designing pages, some photography, and managing a group of stringers who cover weekend football and basketball games. The Times covers a county of about 34,000 with four school districts. A majority of work will be nights and weekends. The old sports editor is now the assistant managing editor and will help ease the new hire’s transition. Experience with Quark is preferred but not mandatory. A college graduate is preferred with degree in journalism or related field. However, non-degreed applicants with proven ability to produce under deadline pressure also considered. The Times is published Monday-Saturday. Frankfort is located in west-central Indiana, 30 minutes south of Lafayette and 45 minutes north of Indianapolis. Please send resume and clips to Janis Thornton, managing editor, The Times, 251 E. Clinton St., Frankfort, IN 46041; or e-mail them to: jthornton@ftimes.com.

I don't know much about this one, except that the former SE (now AME), Brian Peloza, is good people. Frankfort's nothing to write home about, though.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Frankfort High's mascot = Hotdogs.

That's all I got.

3. damn, beat me to it playthrough

4. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

That is pretty cool. Do they sometimes go by Wieners?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fittingly enough, hotdogs are all you'll afford to eat on that salary. And not the fancy-schmancy all-beef ones either.

6. And Frankfort's home gym, Case Arena, was the homecourt for the Western University Dolphins in the basketball "classic" Blue Chips.

7. SpartyOn

SpartyOn New Member

Should be noted that this is a Paxton paper.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ew.

9. $25K max for a sports editor. Wow. I was familiar with this place when it was owned by Nixon.

10. turnovers

turnovers Member

And that was the salary for the same job during the Nixon administration, I'd bet.

11. Yep. Nixon was no bowl of cherries. This paper had a publisher who forced reporters to wear hats with wiener dogs on them while covering the newspaper-sponsored frankfurter festival. ::)

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The Nixon publisher that I worked for now works for JRC, if that's any clue as to what Nixon was like...

Draft saved Draft deleted