1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE Portland Press Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dan Hickling, May 3, 2007.

1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Haven't seen this posted anywhere, so I thought I'd get this one out in the open....one of my best clients, the Portland (Me.) Press Herald is looking for a new sports editor. The previous SE, Dan Dinsmore, has been moved into a new, somewhat corporate role (the paper is owned by the Blethen Group). One of the sports staffers, Mike Lowe, is functioning as interim SE, but does not want the job. Don't know where you'd send a resume, and they'll probably post in Editor & Publisher or journalismjobs.com. But I thought I owed it to y'all to give you a head's up so you can get those resumes ready.....All the best!....D

Forgot to mention that Dinsmore's title was Asst ME for Sports...don't know if the new guy/gal would assume that or not...

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow, so they finally kicked Dan upstairs... When I heard from him last fall, he mentioned that was in the cards.

That leaves huge shoes to fill for whoever gets this gig, since Dan worked his butt off to make that section what it is. Good, good editor and great guy to work for -- as I can attest to from personal experience.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Good friend of mine went to Bowdoin, and I lived 30 miles north of here for a year. Town is really improved, and I hear they follow that baseball team with a green wall in left field.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

And I thought this was going to be a job in Orygun

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how heavily do they "follow" that team?

6. Writer33

Writer33 Member

The Press-Herald had a beat writer covering all Boston sports. I believe his name was Pat Borzi. They eliminated the position about 8 years ago. Borzi moved on to a New Jersey paper. I worked at the Bangor Daily News and left there four years ago. At that time, they were using AP for Boston coverage.

7. JB20

JB20 Member

Hadlock Field, where the Portland Sea Dogs minor-league baseball team plays, also has a "green monster." They call it the "Maine Monster."

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

something "maine lobster" would have been reason for a laugh or two ... and thanks for clearing that up JB.

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Kevin Thomas is the Sea Dogs beat writer, who will also do stuff from Fenway on occasion...I can tell you that for a paper takes much better care of its minor pro beats than most...all road games for the Sea Dogs and AHL Pirates are covered by live writers (I handle that detail for them)...they staff all Patriot home games...have one of the best columnists in New England in Steve Solloway...and have a fulltimer, Jenn Menendez, on the UMaine beat...this while putting a premium on high schools...

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, is it officially open dan?

11. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good luck to whoever goes after this one ... and take an umbrella.

Draft saved Draft deleted