1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE plagarism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by North61, May 3, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, not at all north. it's something that's helped me through this business without grabbing my chest one day in anger and dying of a heart attack on the spot: most people do stupid shit because they are just that, stupid. the people who do stupid shit each and every day surely are stupid and not vindictive.

for me, it's way more difficult to be angry at someone if i simply know they don't know any better and aren't going out of their way to be fuckers ... kinda like how i feel about my dog. you can shrug your shoulders at stupidity. you gotta maim vindictive fuckers.

2. North61

North61 Member

Well he is a stupid fuck and I learned quickly to shrug my shoulders so I wouldn't go insane.

But in light of recent meeting were I called out SE for being a stupid fuck with the ME, this just feels vindictive. He's never done it with any of my previous stories in the 2 years I've been there or any of his stories. So it's frustrating, which led to creation of this thread.

I got the experience I needed at this Podunk Falls shitrag, which is managing a beat year-round and I'm planning not to reach year three.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then pack it up and head it out dog.

but please remember one thing, calling your boss out in front of his boss is bad business in any industry. remember, your boss' boss is the idiot who hired the idiot. (say that three times fast.)

4. PLAGIARISM, dammit.
    And your boss is a foof.

5. hacknaway

hacknaway New Member

I think you're all missing a huge part of the story. North61 offered to pay his own way to the national tournament. Why in the hell would you offer to spend your own money to cover an event. I know it's your beat and you want to do a good job and cover it as completely as possible. I understand and respect that. But there is no way you should offer to spend your own money. Do it once and management will take advantage: We can't afford to send you to this away game, but you can go if you want to spend your money.

If your paper doesn't care about the event enough to send you, then it's on them, not you. All we can do is do our jobs with the resources we have. And with the way our business is going, resources are going to be getting pretty thin pretty quickly.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I saw this the other day.
    I'm not sure it fits here, but it made me look twice

[​IMG]

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

thats some shit right there

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

was going to say the same thing.
    In the chain in which I worked, one of the smaller papers was notorious for this - their writers were so desperate to cover a "big event", they would cover the travel expenses, the company merely paying them a typical work week.
    Well, as the chain pursued efficiencies and looked for someone to provide chainwide copy at the same event, guess who got the nod.

9. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This may belong in its own thread, but I find it interesting that you would pay your own way.

Now, I am not at a big newspaper, but if any of my travel was cut, I would never, in a million years pay my own way. Actually I think it is unprofessional to pay your own way.

This is your job, and if the higher ups don't want it covered, you can't take it personally. If you are willing to pay your own way, I imagine you are too close to the team emotionally.

Who spend's their own money to work?

The problem with paying your own way is what happens next time? Or with the next guy in the job?
    I think journalists should never pay their own way to events they cover. IN blurs the lines.

Is there any other profession besides sportswriters where sometime they offer to pay thier own way to a sporting event to cover.

Is this unprofessional, or do I have a stick up my ass?

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You bring up a good point.

11. Dude, you should never pay your own way to a sporting event. I mean, what's next? Are you going to pay for your own ticket?

If your paper is unwilling to pay to send you to an event, they need to understand the ramifications of that decision -- the event isn't getting covered. If they're OK with that, you shouldn't get your panties in a wad and pay your own flight/hotel to cover it. That really is unprofessional and I would guess that you're a little too close to the team and its players.

Draft saved Draft deleted