1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE -- Philly area daily

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoop Time, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Sports Editor - A Philadelphia area 30,000 daily newspaper seeks a sports editor. The ideal candidate will have a background in sports -- previous management experience preferred. Our sports editor will manage, plan, write and have experience in page design. We don't live for game stories but want our readers to be dazzled by our feature stories and profiles as well as projects. Our Web site is also a critical part of our daily sports appetite. Please send resumes and cover letters to andyh@dailylocal.com.

Maybe someone could link to the Journal Register bashing archives to save folks a lot of time.

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Re: SEPhilly area daily

This is the West Chester Daily Local News. It is a Journal Register Company paper.

You don't want to know half the headaches the former SE (a highly-respected journalist with many years in the business and APSEs in his pocket) had to deal with, including being the guinea pig paper used to test alfa, JRC's new German clusterfuck of a pagination program.

This thread, much like the parent company and, unfortunately, the paper, has nowhere to go but down. :'(

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Lapdog in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Waiting for the obligatory cancer wish, too.

4. bybybyline

bybybyline New Member

head honcho is already lying to you and he hasn't even hired you yet (he reportedly has a habit of doing that). it's not 30K in circulation, hasn't been for several years. here are the real numbers, according to accessabc circ as of 3/31/07. check back with accessabc in october for the next six-month cycle and the average will be down another thousand. this job is a dead end, if not a death sentence.

DAILY LOCAL NEWS, WEST CHESTER (CHESTER CO.) SAT M DLY 22,446
    DAILY LOCAL NEWS, WEST CHESTER (CHESTER CO.) SUN DLY 26,429
    DAILY LOCAL NEWS, WEST CHESTER (CHESTER CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 26,621

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid job, son of lapdog.

6. lapdog

lapdog Member

[​IMG]

P.S., several other JRC sports editors have been given the "Green Mile" treatment within the last week or 10 days, i.e., being marched into the publisher's office, alone, sat down, then brutally berated (within earshot of the whole office) for up to an hour (with few if any specific performance-related complaints), with the phrases "you got one more chance," "shape up or ship out" and "there are 10,000 idiots walking the street who could do your job for half the pay" (that last a personal favorite of Cancer Boy Bob), prominent in the diatribe.

Of course such ass-blisterings are usually a prelude to the SE getting whacked in the next couple of weeks. So don't be surprised to see a few more JRC SE openings pop up. And, don't even think of applying, unless brutal animal torture (directed at you) is something you really enjoy.

After one such fiery ass-scorching recently, the shell-shocked SE stumbled into the office of the ME (who had personally hired the SE less than a year ago). "What do you think I should do," the SE stammered.

"I don't know and I don't care," Stout Stalwart M.E. replies. "All I know if somebody's gonna go down around here, it ain't gonna be me."

Thanks, boss. :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awesome, totally awesome.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Moody's Investor Service has placed JRC stock under review for possible downgrades.

9. Keystone

Keystone Member

For some reason I got flamed the last time I posted about this job, but anyway:

With the exception of, I believe, the Sixers, all the Philly pro and major college teams are covered by other JRC papers. Coverage will be almost be exclusively preps and the D-II schools in the paper's backyard.

Only competition will come from the Inky as the other dailies in the vicinity (Pottstown, Phoenixville and Delco) are also JRC owned.

If what Lapdog says is true, I wouldn't want to go there. Also, I hope Don Seeley in Pottstown didn't get the same treatment, he's been there forever and is an icon in that part of Montgomery County.

10. lapdog

lapdog Member

Like JRC gives a shit. They happily cut the throats of 50-year employees just for the fun of it.

As far as being an "icon," JRC doesn't WANT its local journalists to gain recognition or standing in the community, because then they get the idiotic idea that they, personally, have some value to the newspaper above a faceless minimum-wage drone.

Since JRC looks on all journalists the way Michael Vick looks on his dogs -- as dumb animals kept around only to perform, and to be ruthlessly snuffed the minute they don't -- the last thing they want is a local sports editor becoming an "icon" in the community. They'll probably fire him in three weeks anyway, and replace him with some kid fresh out of college (currently working at Mickey D's) with a 2.6 GPA, and pay him $22,500 a year.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Gosh that place must be toxic ...

12. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

While the place may be toxic (who knows, it's been a couple years since I was there), the staff itself is as good a bunch to work with as you're going to find. There's quite a bit of talent there, too. It's unfortunate that JRC has to screw it up...

Good luck to whoever takes it...at the very least, you'll get to coordinate some high-level prep sports coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted