1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE, Palmdale, California

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gesundheit, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They woke up last year after a decade slumber of ineptitude and finished second (9-1 in the regular season) in their league this year.

As for this job, I've posted plenty on this paper in previous threads. The paper is family-owned by an individual who knows just enough to be dangerous at times and doesn't believe in laying people off. It also doesn't believe in paying them; when I worked there in the 90s, the most I made after 7 1/2 years was $13.28 an hour.

The circulation is somewhere around 40,000 -- way, waaaaay under what it should be in this area. Of course, you could say that about many places. And yes, the web site is the worst newspaper web site on the planet because the owner doesn't have a clue -- other than he "doesn't want to give the paper away," as I heard ad infinitum.

I haven't heard what happened here, but it sounds like Robert can explain.

2. AVSE

AVSE Member

circ is nowhere near 40k, and the editors there will tell you that if they're honest. It's about 28 these days

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I sit corrected, after seeing the classified ad for this position in Sunday's AVP that called it 30k. A decade ago, it was north of 45k and 28k for that area is shameful.

I did see that ad (and for the Valley Life editor job). But I didn't see anything about the U-17 Brazil-US game that took place yesterday afternoon at the Lancaster National Soccer Center and televised on FSC.

4. paprboy

paprboy New Member

Has anyone heard about the filling of this job position?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, you have to be kidding.

6. Yup, I've heard from a buddy who works there they made one a week or so ago.... took them a while didn't it?

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

shit, i scrolled to the top of my screen to figure out exactly how long it took them to fill the position. Then realized there was a whole other page. damn!

8. paprboy

paprboy New Member

That did take a long time. Who did they end up going with?

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

probably hired from within

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Toby Carrig from the Southeast Missourian has accepted this job.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Long way from Cape Girodeau to Palmdale.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Congratulations Toby! And once your Antelope Valley Big League girls make the Big League Softball World Series, keep me in mind for a stringer. (shameless plug for services) :)

Just kidding. Good hire, Palmdale.

Draft saved Draft deleted