1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE opening in San Angelo, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

TTIUWIOP

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

The ME in San Angelo (who used to work in Abilene) is a first class asshole! I'm sure he's the reason that sports dept. can't keep anyone.

3. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Who's the ME there now? It was a guy named Perry Flippin, who's not an asshole. Flippin I think retired awhile back, but still pens a column for the paper and recently won some column-writing contest.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

According to their web site, Anthony Wilson.

Who was in Abilene when I was there and I don't ever remember thinking he was an asshole. It has been awhile, though.

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

you obviously never had to work for him, he was one of Burke's favorites

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Nah, he wasn't management when I was there. And while it's a little surprising to hear, there's NOTHING negative anyone could say about Abilene under Burke that I wouldn't believe.

The odd thing about it, though, is I always thought Scripps was a good company to work for. Worked for them in Abilene and Corpus and never had a single complaint.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

flippin' fucker.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Flippin sweet.

(Never heard of the guy, just always wanted to say that.)

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I heard an interesting update on this one recently. Apparently the ASE is going to be promoted to SE, but his duties will not change and they will not hire another person.
    Anyone else know anything?

10. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I've heard they're moving one of the writers to desk duty two nights a week and hiring a part-timer to take over some of the writing duties.

The decision stems from the Scripps hiring freeze that says they can't hire anyone in "non-revenue-generating positions."

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good for them. sounds like a wise choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted