1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE opening in San Angelo, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Apr 23, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

San Angelo is cool, though humid by West Texas standards.

Gove rocks, but last time I covered a game where the OA was there, the OA writers there were these two fat fucks who kept giggling and practically cuddling each other during the game. Thankfully, they're both gone. This was about three years ago, BTW.

That was a fun game. It was in Odessa. On the way home, I stopped at the liquor store. The kid working the register was on speed. He kept drumming the entire time I was in the store. Obviously tweaked out. He commented on the foul petroleum smell outside. "Stanks like a mutherfucker don't it? (thappity, thappity, tap tap tap tap) Sumbitchin' line musta broke or somethin. (thappitty thap thap tap tap tap)."

Good ol' Odessa.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm surprised you were so nice Tom, because that was one of the most ridiculous questions I have ever heard on this board. Of course, superfly also said he had offers from three papers in West Texas that don't have sports openings.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have two young kids gola. no question is stupid to me. now, if someone asks a question with the premise that the sky is purple, that's when i tend to lose patience.

i think that's why my kids' teachers actually like them -- despite the fact i'm their father -- because they don't argue stupidity.

4. I never said I had offers. All I said is that I heard openings were imminent. I spoke to an SE in Texas who said they would be opening up...but way to be a total asshole.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'd be really curious to know who this "SE" is. I just think it is funny when college grads assume they can have any job in America. Hey, there are a lot of folks out there that think it would be cool to cover a Permian, or a Southlake Carroll or a Euless Trinity or whoever in Texas. High school football is king, but just because they are smallish papers, doesn't mean kids can just roll in and get jobs. There actually have to be, you know, openings.

6. Let's just say that it's a sports editor who knows what he's talking about. I don't think I can have any job. I think I'm a good candidate, for something at my level. Hence the question.

Obviously, there have to be openings. I was told there would be.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah? I don't buy it. That's just me. I know the SEs at the three papers you mentioned and I know they have no openings. I am sure you are a good candidate at your level, but the only way you are catching the SE jobs at these two papers is if you are a young fucking stud, and even if you were a young fucking stud, I don't know if you would get a SE job with no connections to the papers.

8. That's why I asked the question! Thanks for taking three posts to answer it. Now I know.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No problem.

10. So, when did Abilene and San Angelo's sports sections become good? Grew up in Tx., wife was a cheerleader at Angelo State, worked in Tx. for five years. In all my time there, I always thought both sections sucked.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Abilene was good, IMO, until about 1997 or 1998. San Angelo I won't speak for.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I remember the time when Superfly Snuka was piledrived on the concrete floor by my favorite heel Col. DeBeers in the old AWA ...

Draft saved Draft deleted