1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE opening in San Angelo, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I couldn't find a posting, but heard this one opened up last week. San Angelo is a pretty cool town. The paper used to be considered the best in West Texas, but has fallen off in recent years.

Also, what in the hell is going on in the Scripps chain, now that San Angelo and Abilene have sports editor openings?

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Good alumni from here, and they were glad to be alums and not current.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They had a dream-team of West Texas writers in the early to mid 90s. Such a good crew that Odessa SE Chris Gove wasn't even full-time.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that just goes to show you what jackasses they are then. gove not FT ... give me a fucking break. someone didn't know talent when they saw it, in person, noless.

gove is a fucking stud, tho he's no young fucking stud any longer. (take that gove, if you're out there.)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gove may be no young fucking stud, but last time I saw him he needed a FUCKING HAIRCUT.

6. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

There's still some good folks there. I know there's one really good writer, just off the top of my head.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, I wasn't implying that the Standard Times has no one left, just it used to be the best paper in West Texas with the best writers.
    The only writer I know from there presently is Jeff Wick and he is a good one.

8. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, that's who I was talking about too.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why do you hate america bat? gove's long hair is a small slice of what makes this country great ... that and 2008 is right around the corner.

10. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

San Angelo's SE is (I believe) leaving in early summer to become a professor.

IIRC, Abilene's SE came to Abilene to be closer to his family, and the family members are leaving Abilene or have already left.

11. Does a recent college graduate have any chance at this or the Abilene position?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no.

Draft saved Draft deleted