1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE opening in Abilene, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Huh?

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I worked there a few years ago and still have a few friends on the inside there. To clear a few things up... Terri Burke is gone she left in February, according to her she was leaving to spend more time with family, rumors are she was given the choice of leaving herself or being shown the door.

When Stowers (who used to cover the Cowboys for the DMN in the 70's) came on board he made it clear it was only temporary to change the direction of the sports dept. The previous 2 sports eds were rejects from other depts. When that position came open it was a directive from corporate that they not hire someone that doesn't know what they are doing and management's job's were riding on it (corporate also handpicked an AME to come in and turn things around at the paper as whole).

Things aren't back where they were when Pickett was there, but they are headed back in that direction. From what I'm told Sanders was brought in as heir apparent to be sports editor.

I doubt when they hire Burke's replacement whoever it is they won't be in as bad shape, I honestly can't see anyone being more hateful toward sports than her.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, damn. The first good news I've heard out of Abilene in a LOOOONG time.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

it ain't real barbecue if you spell it like that

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I couldn't remember how to spell barbecue, so I used bbq.

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

Two of the best places I've ever had the pleasure of eating at. Brings back memories.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Closed:

Nathan Sanders, 33, an award-winning sports writer for the Abilene Reporter-News since July 2006, has been named the newspaper's new sports editor. He officially begins today.

Sanders has recently been filling in as interim sports editor since Carlton Stowers, a noted Texas writer in several venues, resigned in mid-April.

8. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I'm pretty sure Sanders used to work in San Angelo at one time. I could be wrong there, though.

Also, that is great news about Burke leaving. Maybe this place can be salvaged.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From Reporter-News story:

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm willing to bet a brand new pair of shoes that they didn't bring in a single candidate to interview for this one.

11. zman82

zman82 Member

nathan's a good guy who should do a good job there ... as long as they let him do the job, which sounds doubtful.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think Angola was ever a part of the herd at the Starfish Ranch.

I don't think .....

Draft saved Draft deleted