1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE opening in Abilene, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How about when they don't cover any of the three regional tournaments in their town?

3. robdread

robdread New Member

I used to work there a long time ago (not in sports). I don't know what the situation is currently, but from friends in town, it's gone down hill bad.

I know Al Pickett ran a good sports section, but was canned for no real reason (They claimed conflict of interest). The SE's since (with one esception) got worse. Sports is just not a priority down there.

4. I thought he was paying for gas and other personal items on the company p-card. At least that what I heard (I used to be at a Scripps paper, too).

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I don't know about the paper, but Abilene sucks more cock than an entire drill team on prom night.

6. I definitely agree.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You're thinking of Lance Fleming, current Abilene Christian SID. He was the No. 1 prep guy (and a damn good writer) and generally handled the top game of the night. He apparently got shitcanned for habitually adding a candy bar and a drink when he was gassing up at midnight on the way home from Midland/Odessa/wherever the fuck he was that night.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'll third that. Though Joe Allen's is some pretty good bbq.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It's been many years, so it's a little hazy ... but as I recall ...

Al was some kind of honcho in the Abilene Sports Council (maybe the president? or maybe he was just on the council?) or some such something or another. You know the type of group I'm talking about ... every city has one.

New editor called him in and said it was a conflict of interest. Al said he disagreed, but would step down from the council. Editor said he was fired. End of LONG Abilene career.

In the decade since then, I've never heard anyone come up with any kind of alternate explanation for what happened.

10. boots

boots New Member

There was a time that this was a good place. It's not that way anymore.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When did you come to that conclusion?

12. boots

boots New Member

I've got my Texas brand partner. Do you?

Draft saved Draft deleted