1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE job in Beaufort, S.C.?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

It appears that the Gazette will be looking for a new sports editor.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/departments/newsroom/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003843810

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. Not too long after they had to lay off the guy they just hired.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, Jeff was in control of Beaufort and Hilton Head.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

If they're lucky, he hasn't moved yet.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

For sports, I assume. If I read that story correctly, it sounds like he would be moved to news.

I hope this is what a guy like Steve Blust really wanted to do. I've talked with him on a couple of occasions, and I think I could work for him - anywhere, anytime ... if he'd have me.

6. sblust

sblust Member

No need to dust off those resumes, folks. Here's what's happening:

After 32 years of full-time newspaper employment, I've decided to take a buyout, effective Nov. 7. I'm going to head back west, although I don't have another job lined up yet. My kids live in California, and I decided I no longer wanted to be 2,500 miles from them.

Jeff Kidd, who worked at the Beaufort Gazette for eight years as a sports reporter and sports editor and for the last eight years as sports editor of the Island Packet, has been promoted to editor of the Gazette. Lance Hanlin, whom I hired as Gazette sports editor in January, has been promoted to sports editor of the Packet and Gazette, which combined their sports operations in July (an arrangement that is going very well, by the way).

I'm very happy for Jeff and Lance, both of whom are very deserving of their new roles.

Steve Blust
    Beaufort Gazette executive editor

7. sblust

sblust Member

Some stories have a happy ending, even in this crazy time in newspapers.

Dan Worthington, who was laid off as an ASE at the Gazette, was rehired soon after that to work on the combined news copy desk for the Gazette and Island Packet. He's doing very well.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good to hear, Steve. Better to hear that Dan found a good landing spot given the chaos.

Good luck in moving out to the West Coast, and thanks for the clarification.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Congrats to Jeff. You won't meet a nicer person in this business, and his sports sections have always raked in tons of awards. With Lance moving up to SE, does that mean the Island Packet/Gazette is adding another ASE, sports copy editor or sports reporter?

10. sblust

sblust Member

No. Combining the operations probably put us one over where we needed to be given the current economy, so there are no vacancies.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Thanks for the response and good luck in California.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Steve, good luck to you in California. It's a huge loss for the Gazette. You and I spoke on the phone once. I think anyone who worked for you in Beaufort was very fortunate.

Draft saved Draft deleted