1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE in Winter Haven, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by melock, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Jason Martin

Jason Martin New Member

Thanks, Colton. All this happened back in March, and I've bounced back pretty well. I just got married, moved into a house and am moving forward on a different career path. Whether I like to admit it some days, I think it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.

I thought people interested in the job should know what went down. There was a lot of talk that when the NYT bought the Chief that it would just shut the paper down to eliminate the Lakeland Ledger's main competition. Many have come out and said that won't happen, but it doesn't mean that one day, people could show up for work one day to find a padlock on the door.

The paper wasn't in great shape financially before the takeover. I'm not sure if things have gotten that much better since.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

As someone who got out of the News Chief once and is looking to get back in, I can say that things when I was there weren't incredibly good. It seemed like everyone who worked at the Chief was just waiting for a position to open at the Ledger to go after it.

That being said, the Ledger, from what I've understood, has taken great lengths to integrate the Chief into the flow. Whether the Chief becomes just another bureau office for the Ledger is another matter up to speculation but I don't think it'll just be "shut down."

3. OWNS!!!! OWNS!!!!! ;D

I interviewed at this shop many moons ago. Obviously, with NYTRENG taking over, things are much different now.

One thing that probably remains the same, though, is something I experienced after the interview.

I went out to a local restaurant for lunch and was the youngest person in the jernt by about 40 years (easy). Made me want to ask for a junior citizens discount. ;D

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And all these moons later, you'd probably STILL be youngest by 40 years.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I had the ME of this paper call me twice for a job reference. Apparently, a kid from my time as an editor was interested in the job. I think he applied twice, was offered it twice and turned it down twice. I wish I knew the details.

6. I'm sure it was something along the lines of . . .

ME: We'd like to offer you the job. The pay is magic beans and peanuts.

Person: No thanks.

A month later . . .

ME: We'd like to offer you the job again. We couldn't get anyone to take it for the magic bean/peanuts offer. We're prepared to offer you more. You can get 20 percent off at the local senior restaurant.

Person: Really? I'll pass.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt the job pays a little better and The Chief under NTYRMG isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The prep sports in East Polk County aren't bad. Decent football, obviously the main Lakeland schools are a little better, very good basketball (girls and boys), great baseball and softball. All kinds of other odds and ends like youth sports, stuff at Cypress Gardens. It's an inexpensive place to live, you aren't too far from Orlando and I'm pretty sure they will leave you alone and allow you to experiment with changes and different looks to the section.

I think it's probably a decent opportunity for someone who is trying to get their first taste of real management.

8. Wrong.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I'm very familiar with this whole operation and I'm very familiar with the guy in charge at the News Chief. I seriously doubt he's going to meddle in a local sports section.

But obviously you've had a bad taste of a situation at The Ledger and probably aren't going give a glowing review.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

I really wish I could shed some light on this situation, but I think I'll wait for a while. I'm very familiar with this situation.

Oh, and as for the guy that "turned the job down twice" I'm sure that it wasn't the News Chief he applied for. There was a situation at the Ledger where they did offer someone the job and he apparently took it, then the day before he was supposed to come in and finalize the situation he backed out. Dont' know much more than that, just something I heard along the grapevine.

Oh, and Winter Haven isn't as old as its reputation. There are night spots there, but all the really good ones in Polk are mostly in Lakeland.

Again, any more information on the area, feel free to drop me a line.

11. Jason Martin

Jason Martin New Member

I think Mr. Scooter may be talking about the News Chief ME, not necessarily the top guy in charge. I could be wrong, though.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Who knows these days. He might be talking about someone who isn't even the ME now lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted