1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE in South Central ... Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ColbertNation, Sep 22, 2008.

1. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Maybe. But it might be doing some good for a lame duck sports editor if the case is that one exists.

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Portsmouth?
    Very south, very central

3. Jeff Lebowski

Jeff Lebowski New Member

The PDTs SE job is still posted on JournalismJobs.com as is a Copy Desk chief opening. Maybe they're cleaning house. Again.

4. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Portsmouth covers about a dozen or so schools, so that can't be it.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Both Portsmouth and Chillicothe have advertised positions under their real names.

6. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Pomeroy, Gallipolis? Washington Court House maybe?

7. I think Pomeroy, Gallipolis and Pt. Pleasant W.Va are all combined sports sections under Brad Sherman?
    They are Gatehouse or Heartand papers as well.

8. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

My wife is from the area, so I know in fact, there is the Pomeroy Sentinel, Gallipolis Daily Tribune and the Point Pleasant Register. I am certain Pomeroy covers exactly three schools. Gallipolis, I'm not sure. Somewhere from 3-5, I'd guess, so that would fit the description except that I'm fairly sure everyone in Gallipolis considers it southeast Ohio, not south central. As for Washington Courthouse, I'd be pretty sure they cover four or less, so it would be a good guess.

9. Thay are three different papers, but they have a universal sports desk. Pt. Pleasant and Gallipolis are across the river from each other and Pomeroy is what 20 minutes up the road.
    All three papers are on-line and post by-lines from SE Brad Sherman.
    I think they are all printed out of one site, but I'm not sure.
    The sports pages are essentially the same.

10. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

They are under the same ownership, but they produce very different newspapers except on Sundays. Pomeroy and Gallipolis share Sunday's edition. I don't think Point Pleasant is part of that. The Pomeroy paper covers only Meigs, Eastern and Southern. Also, the advertisement is for a morning newspaper, and these are afternoon. So all of this essentially rules out any of those.

11. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I am told by my wife's parents that Ohio Valley Publishing (Pomeroy/Gallipolis) has advertised a sports editor position in their papers. I have no idea about the specifics it advertises and I couldn't find a listing anywhere else. I don't know if this is the same thing or not. I don't think the way the Pomeroy/Gallipolis papers operate matches the ad description on here, but maybe things are changing? Or maybe there are two Southern Ohio openings.

Draft saved Draft deleted