1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE in South Central ... Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ColbertNation, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

From JJobs

Company: Small Daily Newspaper
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: October 27, 2008
    Job ID: 979059

Description:
    SPORTS EDITOR

A six-day morning newspaper in south central Ohio is in need of a sports editor/writer.

Candidate must be able to cover and coordinate coverage of four area high school sports programs that include football, basketball, golf, volleyball, soccer and others. Also requires coverage of local organized sports programs. Key to this position is establishing and maintaining ongoing contact with high school coaches through pre- and post-game/match interviews, previews, doing on-site game coverage, taking photos, preparing pre-season features and reports, writing player profiles, and ensuring stringer coverage of games and matches. This position also requires paginating.

This is not a part-time position and requires a dedication and skill level that will enhance the reputation of this newspaper. Minimum two years sports editing/reporting experience required. As a situation may require, candidate will provide writing assistance to the news reporter/writer staff.

There are a lot of "Not Specifieds" here, including the name of the paper, which would concern me. The only option to apply seems to be online.

2. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

There are only a few newspapers that would fit the description of south central Ohio newspaper that covers only four high schools. Waverly and Jackson are the first that come to mind. Circleville would seem to north, Gallipolis too east, and Hillsboro too west. I'm not sure exactly which schools these papers cover nor their newspaper status, but I'd guess it's either Waverly or Jackson.

3. Is Marietta or Athens considered south central Ohio?

Marietta is a six-day.

Zanesville?

4. boxand1

boxand1 New Member

Why not put the name of the paper and city on the job posting? Seems odd.

5. Don't you just love a good mystery? :p

6. thebigd

thebigd Member

somebody is about to be let go

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Somebody doesn't know he's on the chopping block.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They are trying to take after Martinsville.

Would Celina or Wapakoneta be too far north?

it's probably not either one (especially since Wapakoneta just had an ad), but both those are six days I believe.

9. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Celina and Wapak are west central. Marietta and Athens are definitely southeast. Athens covers five schools and I know their sports editor. Marietta definitely would cover more than four also. I'm not certain on exact number of schools they cover, but my first bet is it's Waverly and my second guess is Jackson, although I'd classify Jackson as more south east. Both are owned by the same company/person, though. I think there are four schools in Pike County, so I think it's a good bet it is Waverly. No matter what it is, you're looking at a paper with an under 10,000 circulation, maybe even under 5,000, and you'd do everything as the sports editor: typing in results, covering games, taking photos, design, probably filling in on news meetings and taking a few news stories here or there. It sounds like a lot, but it's good for someone interested in learning a variety of skills.

10. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

I would guess Chillicothe or Lancaster, both in south central Ohio, but since they're both Gannett, and Gannett whacked all of their sports editors in Ohio save for Cincinnati two years ago, it can't be either of those places.

11. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Chillicothe and Lancaster both cover significantly more than four schools.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If somebody e-mailed this anonymous ad to the sports editors at the most likely papers, would that come under the heading of "causing trouble?"

Draft saved Draft deleted