1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE in Reno

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JB20, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you better not dude. i've always wanted to shoot a man in reno, just to watch him die.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the SE really puts the paper to bed?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

seems odd for a paper that size.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Last I heard they had a writer leave a few months ago and weren't able to re-fill the position.
    With this opening, I know Joe Santoro was the SE and now is the Assistant SE. I wouldn't be surprised if he was offered the SE if he wanted to do it again.
    I don't think the sports editor ever puts the paper to bed too often, but I know most of the writers work desk shifts in addition to covering their beats.
    The staff has plenty of experience, and there's always interesting things going on in the area it seems like.
    Not much for regular sports aside from the preps and the Wolf Pack, but being close to Tahoe and the yearly ACC celebrity golf tournament there is pretty sweet too.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Volleyball Festival is there in the summer. A hard thing to really cover, but there are 10,000 girls age 12-18 in town wearing Spandex shorts.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

brb, fbi

7. I know some people who work at that paper.
    Santoro is the Asst SE but a title only. He is the preps guy...an underwhelming beat for a guy with a good amount of talent. But that is his choice. Steve Sneddon, who has been there forever, covers Wolf Pack basketball. A desk guy got put on Wolf Pack football in the fall when the other writer left. That guy also does golf (they have a PGA event) and is the interim SE, but he doesn't want the job permanently. The other three spots are desk jobs, with one of them also covering Wolf Pack women's sports.
    There's been a lot of turnover there newsroom-wide. I think in 2006 there were 20 people who left in a newsroom of about 60 positions.
    On the other hand, Reno is a great place to live. Half-hour to Tahoe and just over three hours to the Bay Area.

And as for Volleyball Festival...the sports department doesn't even cover it. Their custom publishing shop puts out a daily tab at the tournament but the only coverage in the paper comes from the business department in terms of economic impact, etc.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Where did the SE go?

9. baskethead

baskethead Member

The desk guy who got put on the football beat is Dan Hinxman, who is the former sports editor and assistant sports editor. They couldn't give this job away to any of the current staff. The paper does have a lot of turnover in a few of the positions, including sports editor, and a big reason for that is because Gannett is....you know. Joe Santoro and Steve Sneddon are both good guys and good writers who have been there forever. Reno itself is not a great place to live, though location wise it isn't bad. It is not a particularly good sports town. I can try to answer some specific questions if people have any.

10. I heard he took a job at a weekly back in the midwest, where he had worked prior to going to Reno.

There are a lot of odd things about the RGJ. For instance...this breaking news:
    http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070424/SPECIAL01/70424055&oaso=news.rgj.com/breakingnews

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Nancy Grace is en route as we speak.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

For a second there, I thought CART had a race in Reno now.

Draft saved Draft deleted