1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE Hillsdale Daily News (Mich.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Nov 21, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From jjobs
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1451362

The Hillsdale Daily News seeks a motivated sports editor to join our team. Hillsdale County is a bustling sports locale with several high schools and Hillsdale College. Must be able to shoot photos as well as write event and feature stories. Experience is preferred, but will train the right candidate. We need someone to hit the ground running. Interested? Email resume, cover letter and clips of published work to jbarrand@hillsdale.net.

Last opening 3/11: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3015731/
    Mentions $455 weekly salary in that posting.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Might be an OK first job for someone right out of school, but that's 24K for an editing job. This paper historically has paid low... other thoughts?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Still a one-person department, eh?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What happened to the person who replaced Monastiere?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Looks like they have a new editor from the last ad.

Edit: Upon further review (a quick google search), looks like the old main editor (not sports) is now a freelancer working on a Patch site.

6. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

They do have a new editor, I think within the last month. The editor is the chief editor of both the Hillsdale and Coldwater papers, both small dailies. These are Gatehouse papers that share content, as well as the chief editor, publisher, HR/business manager, press, regional design hub that is located elsewhere.

Sports operation is one person, possibly still using a freelancer, not sure.

I'm former Managing Editor and News Editor when it was a Morris paper. Also, SE later on to have a few $$$ between jobs.

If you're seriously looking at this job, I'll be happy to answer questions, if I know the answers. JUst PM me. Or via LinkedIn. Publisher is a good guy, just working within financial constraints of Gatehouse. Newsroom is down to 3 people total, I think.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If the paper is as conservative as Hillsdale College, probably not a good fit for much of the SJ membership.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This gig again huh? I interviewed back in 2007 and they asked me to interview someone I knew and write a random story about it. (like a made up story would be a good barometer).

If anyone has questions PM me.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Is Holland still with them in the chain? I know Holland was part of the chain when both were with Morris.

10. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

I think Holland (Sturgis, too) is back with Hillsdale/Coldwater in the Gatehouse chain because when Morris went into bankruptcy proceedings, it basically had to sell the big group of Midwest papers it had obtained from Stauffer Communications. All these papers were a part of it. Morris group needed cash flow as a part of bankruptcy so that it could keep the rest of the chain afloat.

Hillsdale printing press still sits in the bowels of the building, totally unused. Sad story for the guys who used to work in the pressroom and other production areas.

11. PCZO

PCZO New Member

*waves*

Having been in this job, I could have some insight for anyone with questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted