1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE: Greenfield, Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by crimsonace, Feb 26, 2018.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Daily Reporter in Greenfield, Indiana, a five day a week newspaper near Indianapolis, is seeking an energetic sports editor who has the drive, work ethic and skills to direct coverage and write sport stories.

Candidates must be excellent writers, have innovative coverage ideas (including social media), focus on the local community, have sound judgment and planning skills, work under deadlines and be able to coordinate and communicate well with sports stringers.
    We are looking for a team player who is able to do and develop in-depth enterprise, breaking news, features and game stories.

Qualifications and Skills
    • Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
    • 2 years reporting and/or editing experience

• Thorough knowledge of sports
    • Deadline driven
    Compensation Program:
    • Base salary
    • Comprehensive benefit program including health, dental, vision and life insurance
    • 401k program with company match

===

I was the SE here more than a decade ago and have maintained close ties to the newsroom (and while I'm a teacher and a part-time SID/broadcaster at a local high school, I occasionally string for them when they're in a pinch). You'll cover four high schools in a county - three are 4A-sized schools of roughly similar size and one is a 2A with a pretty passionate fanbase, so the expectation is that all four will be covered equitably (in other words, there's no focusing on the big county seat school & letting stringers handle the rest). Circulation was about 9K when I left, I believe it's around 6K now. It publishes Tu-Sa.

And apparently, this will be a one-person desk. This had been a two-person desk for a long time, but the second person left a year or so ago and was never replaced (and, given the language about "managing stringers," likely never will be replaced). The previous SE used a lot of IUPUI students as stringers. Even though it's in suburban Indy, the newspaper no longer covers any Colts/Pacers/IMS games/events (which we did regularly a decade ago). Design is done at a universal desk at a sister paper in Columbus. Deadlines are in late evening, so it's a second-shift job. This is a good job for someone who's young and driven and willing to work a lot of hours.

PM me with questions or more info.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hate to see they don't cover IMS and the pros anymore. That's always a nice carrot to the young'uns (or old'uns) who are working their tails off, and like you said it's not like that's three hours away.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Covering IMS & the pros were great places to learn how to cover a big event, as well as get to know other people in the business. I made some great friendships with other reporters and shared ideas (and sometimes, shared quotes). We used to staff every Colts & most Pacers home games, as well as every major IMS event. Those were really valuable for me, as a young reporter, in building my career. No, we didn't need to cover the Colts (for a while, we *did* need to cover IMS because Mark Dismore was an Indy 500 starter and was local), but it was a nice feather in the cap to do so.

When the newspapers fell under the direction of a group editor and design went to a universal desk based in Columbus, the other papers in the chain (Franklin/Columbus) were assigned the pro coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted