1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE, Faribault, Minn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by zeke12, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Re: SE, Fairbault, Minn.

Not to be a jerk, Zeke, but you should know the proper spelling of Faribault. (It gets me every time.)

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: SE, Fairbault, Minn.

I guess I should, but clearly I don't.

I will go to the box, two minutes, and feel shame.

5. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

It's not a bad place to work. Cover a lot of preps, and you hear about it if you miss a game or two. It's actually a two-man show. SE and one full-time writer. It's owned by small company based in Michigan. The same company owns a few other papers in the area, some daily and some weekly or bi-weekly.

The town is kind of a craphole. Failing industry, shoddy downtown, all that. But downtown Minneapolis is only about 45 minutes away, and the southern suburbs are only 20, so you don't have to live in Faribault to work there. In addition to the main public HS, there is a small private school, Shattuck, and a deaf academy.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Any opportunities to cover stuff in Minneapolis?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good info, Sconnie.

I can vouch that there are much nicer places in the area to live than Faribault.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Ummm, the only thing in the Cities you would cover is high school events played there. Unless someone from a local high school makes it big, and then you might get to cover a pro game if that guy is in town. That's about it. They don't beat cover, or occasionally cover, the pro teams at all.

9. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

At the time this job was posted, it was weird because Faribault had an SE that had been there a while...it turns out there were filling the job before they fired the guy. Pretty much a bullshit move.

Not sure if they actually have anyone in mind, but its safe to say the ME in Fairbo is hated by many people now. The former SE was with the company a decade plus until today

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Didn't the SE at the time kind of see the writing on the wall and/or start sniffing around to see what was going on?

Who owns this paper?

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted