1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE caught plagiarizing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fink-Nottle, Dec 16, 2006.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fink also reported it to the executive editor.

So at least two people in-house know, along with the offending SE.

The EE may have a pal at the other paper and wishes to send a note. The EE could have consulted the paper's attorney or HR director, who proceeds anonymously to contact the other paper.

Best to document everything from start to finish, however, polish that resume and see what happens after the next evaluation.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

You'd think that with punks like Jason Blair and Glass that "zero tolerance" would be the rule rather than the exception.

Guess that's out the window. To me, plagirism is the one mortal sin in this business that should be an instaneous dismissal, of course following after an investigation. If I worked with a plagirist, I'd be doing my damnedest to take them out, because when it's not just their credibility that's on the line.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Damn, we must work at the same paper. That's been my explanation for a lot of the bosses at my paper still being employed.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Plagiarism is to journalism what gambling is to baseball. No second chances.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

However, sex with farm animals, regardless of species, merits three warnings before termination.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Wow, I'm just glad you agree on an investigation before you feed their testicles to the alligators.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

So how many warnings are issued when every KR-syndicated copy desk in the country allows an obviously incorrect column to run unimproved?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

none, since KR syndicate is no more....

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Duh. At the time of said incident, KR was still rolling merrily along.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Now, of course, he's Gannett's problem. ;D ;D ;D

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

this story illustrates the ridiculous double standard - next time you want to lynch somebody for "plagiarism" think of tank johnson and lovie smith

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-061219morrissey,1,5484701.column?page=1&coll=cs-home-utility

Draft saved Draft deleted