1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE caught plagiarizing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fink-Nottle, Dec 16, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

novelist, you're right on the money. i just took a final exam in employment discrimination law and one of the things we learned is that almost anyone who files such a claim (including retaliation or any other type of job action) ends up being forced to look for work in another industry. so the law is on your side and in some instances - although not this case, obviously - you might get damages, back pay or technically the opportunity to be reinstated the reality is that you'd better plan on working in another industry. and for just one example of this in action, see the plain dealer thread.

2. The guy I replaced as SE at my paper was canned from our competitor for plagiarizing, but then got on with us. Not sure why we hired him, but he only lasted about eight months before he just walked out. No notice or anything. Just up and left.

Perhaps the guilt of copying someone else's work catches up to these guys. Maybe it will for your SE and he'll be gone soon.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

fired for a first offense? is that across the board, for all transgressions, or just plagiarism? a bit draconian, eh? people are human - they make mistakes. why should athletes and coaches get umpteen chances, i.e, darryl strawberry, while this guy gets fired? shouldn't he get a warning, reprimand, suspension, and a second chance, too?

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

People make mistakes, but journalists are NOT supposed to plagiarize. That's not even a consideration. If I were an editor, that person would be fired on the spot whether the story ran or not. I'm not an editor so I don't really count, but plagiarism is unacceptable for a journalist.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Pictures.

With farm animals.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Live goats or dead boys.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

again, people make mistakes. our judicial system is based on the concept of a second chance, or a third chance. where is your compassion - this is somebody's livelihood. i have never understood why some people are so heavy-handed and judgmental about this particular thing. it's not an act of violence, after all. and when you get down to it - plagiarism is a slippery slope. i just think you need to get off your high horse and bring a bit of empathy into your perspective.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's not a slippery slope, Henry. But how can we expect you to understand, seeing as you stole the name of a living person who had a long career in journalism -- and keep using it even though people have told you it's disgusting?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Disassociated factors. Because professional and collegiate athletic organizations coddle, enable and cover up for criminal, unethical and other antisocial activities by participants, doesn't mean news organizations -- or any other businesses in the real world -- have to, too.

MOST newspapers are "At-Will" workplaces. As such, Mr. Publisher or his designee can fire you any old day they want, for any old reason they want (legally-prohibited discrimination excepted, of course).

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know why, and if I'm wrong, I apologize, but my bullshit meter is going off about this one.

Something about the story feels missing to me. Just a hunch.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

and how do frank ridgeway's survivors feel about you ripping off his name? the poor guy is probably spinning in his grave. how dare you rip off frank ridgeway's name? it's an outrage.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But since he caught it before the story was published, the other paper has no idea of plagarism. So if the finger is pointed it will come back to bite him in the ass...

Draft saved Draft deleted