1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE/Brunswick News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Trunkmonkey, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Anyone familiar with this place???

Company: The Brunswick News (a dynamic family-owned
    daily newspaper)
    Position: Sports editor (who wants to live by the beach)
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 7, 2009
    Job ID: 571189

Description:
    The Brunswick News, a morning daily on Georgia's Atlantic Coast, is seeking a sports editor who can develop people-oriented coverage of both the games between the lines and the sports that people pursue outside the lines.

Along with strong coverage of the games and dynamics of high school sports, we want readers to see themselves in coverage of recreational and participant sports and outdoors activities. Brunswick and the Golden Isles is a year-round, residential resort community, so the sports section of The News must display a high interest in local golf, fishing and hunting. Here, the professional "franchise" is the PGA Tour pros who live in the area and a golf center where numerous others practice.

On the journalism side, we seek a sports editor who can tell compelling stories in his or her writing, can provide readers with helpful information in their own pursuits of sports activities, has prior professional supervisory and editing experience, and can design pages with bold entry points. In sports terms, we are seeking the complete player

The Brunswick News is a community newspaper with a level of reporting and design equal to that of many metros. The quality of The News, coupled with working with other experienced editors, makes this an outstanding opportunity either for someone seeking to make a move from a weekly or a metro, or anything in between.

To give you a little of an idea about us …

This is who we are: The Brunswick News gives staff members a metro newspaper-style experience in a small newspaper setting. Located on Georgia's Atlantic Coast, The News is a family-owned, six-day, morning newspaper with a circulation of about 16,500. Its daily Webcast of television-style news is a model other newspapers are seeking to follow.

What we offer: The News offers a competitive salary, health insurance, paid vacation, 401(k) plan and a commitment to a work schedule that lets you enjoy life at the beach.

Where we are: Brunswick and the barrier islands of St. Simons, Jekyll and Sea islands are midway between Jacksonville, Fla., and Savannah, Ga. The Brunswick area is a year-round resort community and includes a diverse economy with a major seaport, small manufacturing and service industries. It is home to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, where federal agents other than those of the FBI are trained, and also to The Cloister and The Lodge, internationally recognized resorts, and their related Sea Island golf courses. The population of the county is about 75,000 and the metro area is about 115,000.

Some considerations: While we will be glad to receive resumes from journalists throughout the United States, we prefer to recruit from among those currently living in the Southeast to make it easier for final candidates to visit us for in-person interviews and tryouts. We appreciate the time you will take to prepare your resume and will respond with an e-mail message that we have received it. This posting will remain online until the position is filled.

If you would like to be considered for this position, please send a resume and up to six clips or tear sheets of your best work to: Mr. Kerry Klumpe, Managing Editor, The Brunswick News, Box 1557, 3011 Altama Ave., Brunswick, Ga. 31521-1557 or by e-mail to resumes@thebrunswicknews.com.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

A little schizophrenic here:

Some considerations: While we will be glad to receive resumes from journalists throughout the United States, we prefer to recruit from among those currently living in the Southeast to make it easier for final candidates to visit us for in-person interviews and tryouts. We appreciate the time you will take to prepare your resume and will respond with an e-mail message that we have received it. This posting will remain online until the position is filled.

===============================================================================

In other words, don't bother if you don't live in the Southeast. Why they just can't come out and say that beats me.

It is nice that they'll at least acknowledge they got your stuff though.

3. Lions Suck

Lions Suck New Member

They should win an award for longest job posting. It at least rivals Farmington, NM in attempting to sell you on the area.

4. Pluggin Away

Pluggin Away New Member

Trust me, absolutely nothing can rival Farmington's traditional job posting in terms of being completely over the top.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Tryouts for final candidates? Never expected to read that in a job ad for this size shop.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The first day of spring training in Major League just popped into my head. If you can run a 6.0 60 in your PJs, do you get the job?

Seriously, a friend of mine had this position a few years back, and I think he genuinely enjoyed living and working there, though the Golden Isles are apparently a pretty pricey place to live. Decent HS sports, lots of off-shore fishing tournaments to cover, though I think I recall him saying he did little else. Jacksonville and Savannah aren't too far away if you need to get to somewhere bigger. I'm not a coastal guy, so the biggest downside for me would be knowing I'd have to leave my house at least once a year not knowing if it was going to be there when I got back. But that's just me.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

.[/i]

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

[/quote]

Facepalm.jpging your own quote fail? How very meta.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Facepalm.jpging your own quote fail? How very meta.
    [/quote]
    The picture said it better than anything I could've written. hint, hint. hint.

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

so what's up with kevin?

11. Yeah, anyone know what happened to Kevin Price (East)?

Draft saved Draft deleted