1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE - Auburn, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 26, 2007.

1. http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=795067

Company: The Citizen
    Position:
    Dynamic sports editor wanted
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 31, 2007
    Job ID: 795067

Description:
    The Citizen, an award-winning daily in the heart of the Finger Lakes region of New York state, seeks a sports editor to lead one of the best sections among small dailies in the state. This person will lead a four-person team covering athletics and recreation at all levels, from the Auburn Doubledays minor league baseball franchise to the local recreational softball league. The sports editor must have exceptional planning and organizational skills, a desire to break beyond conventional sports coverage, and strong writing and editing ability. Page design experience is preferred. Please send a cover letter, resume and five published clips to Jeremy Boyer, Executive Editor, The Citizen, Auburn, NY 13021. No email submissions, please.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I don't know what the pay is like, but I can think of worse gigs than this. There's some coverage of Syracuse University and Cornell involved which means you're not entirely in the bushes. The paper competes with the Syracuse daily on some beats, but the overlap with other dailies is minimal.

I'm tied up with other things right now or else I'd be taking a stab at this one.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Not sure about the SU coverage. As of two years ago, they had cut it out and were just using John Kekis. The pay isn't great, but you could do worse -- I suppose.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I happen to know that this gig also comes with an experienced stringer.
    I, ahem, know them very well.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Hmm ... subtle.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You mean, like, in the biblical sense? ;)

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

FJ didn't say "him" or "her"! She said "them!"

Tag team! ;D

8. bp6316

bp6316 Member

If you only knew how amusingly ironic that statement is. :)

On another note, Auburn is a decent little town, but you MUST be a small-town kind of person to handle it. If being in little towns like this drive you nuts, it's not worth it to even try. Otherwise, the area is nice. Decent sports atmosphere and mostly good people. Being stuck back in the dark cave hole in the newsroom sucked, but that was in 2001 and it could have changed since then. Any insight on that Farmer?

Oh, and the biggest downer about this job, baseball icon and former long-time Sports Editor Leo Pinckney (think Pinckney Division of the NY-Penn League) passed on not too long ago. He made working in Auburn worth everything. The stories that guy could tell were amazing.

9. farmerjerome

I try.

In response to bp, the sports department is still a cave-like atmosphere. But being cut off a bit from news definitely has benefits.

10. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

Being cut off from the news side is all beneficial.

In addition to the aforementioned stringer, this paper also has two, ahem, great full time writers that generally work their asses off for next to nothing.

The SU coverage is limited, but it's been growing over the last year.

11. bp6316

bp6316 Member

My favorite being cut off from the newsroom moment at The Citizen: I was doing pages one night and, since we were an afternoon paper, we always waited for every West Coast game to finish before we finalized everything. One particular night, a West Coast baseball game (I don't even remember who was playing now) went like 17 innings. I was done with the entire section by the time that game was in the 8th. It wasn't worth it to go home and come back later for one freaking box score, so I just pulled out a pillow and blanket and went to sleep under the desk. Around 7 a.m. the next day, I woke up, put the box score in, printed my pages and went home.

Those were the days...

12. farmerjerome

Two great fulltime writers, two great fulltime writers.....searching memory....... ;D

Seriously, the sports staff is awesome. Very easy to work with, absolutely no drama within the team and all good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted