1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE at the Garden Island (Kauai)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Basil Exposition, Sep 12, 2007.

1. thebigd

thebigd Member

In talking to friends at the Star-Bulletin and Advertiser, the Hawaiian papers don't like to hire from the Mainland

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I disagree with that. The Maui News hired my friend (from Kentucky) and now has hired the girl from Tallahassee. Also, if TP is correct above, a paper has hired/did hire Trooper. The islands are not deep in journalists. They have to hire from the mainland, though it usually ends up being a revolving door.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Still here, for the time being at least. IJAG is correct that there isn't a great deal of in-state talent to recruit ... at least two-thirds of our newsroom was imported from the mainland. There is something of a revolving door, too. Folks either stay for 2-3 years and move on or stick around for the rest of their career.

Moving people to the islands is an expensive proposition, but it's also a necessary evil. Making people pay back moving expenses if they leave before a certain date at least helps the papers make sure they're getting journalists and not vacationers.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's an interesting twist, guess you can't fault them for that. Makes one think twice about going out there for a one-year joyride.

5. thebigd

thebigd Member

Well I'm Just a Girl I hope your right. I'm just gfoing by what those guys told me when I applied for a job at the Kona paper

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Maybe they were just telling you that because you don't know the difference between your and you're and they wanted to be nice to you?

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's for damn sure.

I was there for the Grand Slam last year. The entire island shuts down at around 9:30, restaurants included.

The paper was OK, largely because when I was there, they were down a person in sports and one person had to pick up the slack.

I'm at a loss what you'd cover other than high schools.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Lifestyle and community sports, probably. Surfing, canoe paddling and other island-specific sports will help fill the section, too.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'd think you'd be eating a lot of poi.

10. Me-ow

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

Wow, IJAG, I didn't think you had that in you. That was almost on a Dyepack level. Nice.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Draft saved Draft deleted