1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE at the Garden Island (Kauai)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Basil Exposition, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition New Member

For the organized editor who can't talk the missus/mister into Fargo ...

From JJobs:

Company: The Garden Island
    Position: Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $35,000 to $40,000
    Ad Expires: October 11, 2007
    Job ID: 825239

Description:
    Daily newspaper on the island of Kaua‘i, in the state of Hawai‘i, seeks a sports editor who knows what it takes to cover an island community intensely. Reporting and layout experience a must. Needs ability to be the lynchpin of the island sports scene, with highly evolved communication skills. Attention to detail and an ability to cover three high schools equally a must. There is an interesting mix of sports on this rural island. Must have a bachelor's and experience at a daily newspaper as a reporter and/or editor. Send cover letter and resume to Tamra Wedemeyer, director of human resources at: jobs@kauaipubco.com Or mail them to: The Garden Island c/o Tamra Wedemeyer, 3-3137 Kuhio Highway, Lihue, Kauai, 96766. No phone calls please.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is that salary enough for someone in the islands to live away from food stamps?

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It could be a Ramen and Easy Mac lifestyle if you're on the low end, but it's possible. The GI is a good paper (it's a Pulitzer joint), and it's the only daily paper on the island. Of course, there's only six dailies in the whole state.

This is not a gig for those after city life. Lihue only has about 6,000 people or so (though it does have a Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Costco and Macy's), and the entire island itself holds about 60,000.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

FYI, Pulitzer now is Lee.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not entirely, I believe.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From http://www.kauaiworld.com/aboutus

7. TrooperBari

8. cathack

cathack New Member

Was there for a week in May. It's a nice little rag. I think you'd run out of things to cover, but you'd be living in possibly the most relaxing place on earth.

9. TrooperBari

Tomas,

If the Heartbreakers are of a school-going age, you might want to pass. The public schools are wanting in just about every area and, unless you have Hawaiian blood or a damn good lawyer, you're not getting into the top private schools.

This is more of a gig for the single, highly-mobile greenhorn in their 20s or someone willing to come and stay for the rest of their career.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they pay moving expenses, which would be extremely expensive.

11. TrooperBari

Hard to say. Stephens Media, which owns the two papers (18K and 12K) on the Big Island, pays moving expenses from the mainland, though you have to pay it back if you leave before two years. The Maui News, an Ogden paper, does not. Couldn't tell you one way or another on the two Honolulu papers.

If you don't try to lug a whole bunch of stuff (or a car) with you, moving can be done for $2,000 or less.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

weren't you there for awhile? and if so, why'd you leave?

Draft saved Draft deleted